RIP Panny Plasmas

Just saw a report on CNBC that Panasonic is planning on exiting the plasma business by March 2014. Can't say I'm overly surprised but still a bummer. Hope the others aren't following suit soon.
soix
I walked past a big KURO at the local AV shop and was surprised. It was perfect for those holiday TV casts aimed at simulating a fireplace in your TV, because the KURO not only did the image it did the heat. I suspect the KURO is a power hog. Panasonic may have predicted that any trend toward lower energy usage would hurt sales.

db
Is there any reason to expect new models from Panasonic before they throw in the towel? We'd been thinking about moving from 42" to 50" or 55" and wonder if we should pull the trigger now with one of the current Pannys.

Oh, and is worth going to 55" in order to get Panasonic's VT series technology instead of the ST, which is the best they offer at smaller screen sizes?
@Drubin-- I bought a VT50 55 inch a few months back after comparing the picture quality between the GT, ST and VT series. The differences between the VT and ST are small and mostly concern picture settings in the menu. The largest viewable difference was in Blu-Ray presentation, and that wasn't a "jaw-dropping" difference, but it was a clear one.

The ST is a fabulous bargain. I would have bought one if it hadn't been for a chance in-box return of a VT. (The guy who returned it hadn't bothered to measure his wall opening.) So I took the return, thank you very much, and saved $600 off a new VT. Now, after a few months with the tv, I can tell you the added picture controls makes a helluva difference, IMO.
Thanks Calbrso3. When you say that, "after a few months with the tv, I can tell you the added picture controls makes a helluva difference," are you referring to those "differences between the VT and ST are small and mostly concern picture settings in the menu"?
Yes, Drubin, those controls specifically found in the custom picture mode. They offer a lot of fine tuning capability, if you're into that kind of thing--I am. Otherwise, with the exception of some minor screen differences (I believe the VT reflects less ambient light), it's IMO the same tv as the ST.