Building HT, 2 channel audio guy needs help

I’m an old audio geek – vinyl and R2R are still my preferred sources. Always had my system for music only in its own room and a separate (decent, but consumer-brand) “theater-like setup” with a 52” flat screen. Well, just moved to a new house and lo and behold, the house has a real theater room (also ideal sonically) with 100” screen and ceiling mounted (obsolete) front projector.

So now, it looks like my audio system will have to do double duty – switching back and forth between audio and theater modes as needed. Need some help on a new preamp or processor for the audio system to serve the theater needs. Here’s my audio system at present:
Oracle Mk I TT (upgraded to Mk II suspension) w/ SME arm and Benz Micro cartridge
Revox A-77 R2R
Conrad Johnson 2200 power amp
Conrad Johnson PV5 tube pre
Magneplanar 1.7 Speakers
Infinity powered subwoofer
McIntosh MI-3 maximum performance indicator

My inclination is to get new/used preamp or processor capable of handling the theater needs –
- (HDMI or RCA) input from cable box for audio
- Center speaker and surround speaker output (powered or otherwise) – I have an old Threshold CAS2 power amp that could be used for the rear speakers
For the video, I plan to use the cable box directly into the projector in order to make it possible to stay with a more audiophile friendly preamp.

Of course, I am not looking to break the bank given that I have been happy with what I have (sonically speaking) – maybe $2k-$3k (new or used) – or perhaps that much plus whatever I would get selling my PV5. Then I can still buy a projector to replace the out of date one that came with the house as well as a center speaker and surround speakers for the theater.

First things first – can I humbly ask the community for some ideas on the pre/processor for this system?

Thanks – Jim
[email protected]
jmarki
I have no experience with the Met-1 but, from what I know, it is a multichannel analog preamp, similar to the Audio Research MP1 that I have. They cannot do bass management, processing or decoding. You will need to have sources that can do all that before D/A conversion and analog output to the Met-1.
No direct experience with the MET-1. I looked at it when it came out, but it had some limitations that made me pass. I went with a hybrid solution with a high quality tube preamp and SS AVR.

It only has analog inputs, which means it does not do things like bass management and room correction. Any of that needs to be down in the source. A Blu-Ray player like the Oppo 103 or 105 can do bass management (crossovers) and set speaker distances but it does not have the equalizers to adjust the frequency spectrum for room acoustics. This is a standard feature of most SS AVRs.

In addition, if you want to do 5.1 for your cable signal, most cable boxes only output 2 channel analog, so you lose the 5.1 for movies and TV shows. You also then rely on the DACs in the cable box, which are usually not very good.

If you do any streaming of video, like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, from a smart TV, you would also be limited to 2 channel audio, using the DACs in the TV.

Depending on your fetish for cables, it does take 6 cables to hook up the Blu-Ray player. For some, that would cost as much as the digital setup :)

It also does not have any video processing, which means you need to hook each video source to the TV directly and change TV inputs as needed. That is easy with a programmable remote, but can be an issue for some using standard remotes.

If you are looking at Conrad Johnson pre-amps, you might check out Spearit Sound. They are a dealer and have used and demo equipment available.
I keep coming back to the fact that you really like the sound of your current pre and amp, so it seems a shame to let that go. There is an option between 1 and 2 you stated above, which would be to keep your pre and add an AVR for processing/center and surround amplification. In option 1 as far as I can tell you'd have no amp to power the center channel, which would be ameliorated by adding an AVR to your current setup (and you may be able to sell the Threshold to bring down the net overall cost further if you want). It would also probably be somewhat cheaper than option 2, and by the way you do not need a HT bypass to make this work (although it is a nice convenience if that's a concern).

Not that you shouldn't explore other options, but it sure would be a bummer to take a step backwards sonically in your 2-channel system you seem to like so much now. So many of our kind flail around incessantly to achieve that level of satisfaction. Again, best of luck.
Soix - pretty much what HT installer told me when he came by today to assess the re-wiring and updating needed to the theater room we inherited in our new home.

So, looks like I will be putting in a modest HT system - new projector, screen upgrade, Klipsch in-wall speakers, separate SW, basic HT receiver - and leave my audio system untouched.

Took me some time and a lot of inputs and coaching on this forum to bring me around to where I should have likely started - "do what you want to the theater - but leave my 2 channel audio alone!" Thanks again all.