Long cable run from my phono preamp to linestage.

Due to constraints of a small 11 x 12 ft listening room and the difficulty accessing my turntable within a vertical rack, I've decided to place my turntable on a small table next to my listening chair. As this setup requires a 4 meter cable run between my turntable and full function preamplifier, I've decided to use a small stand alone phono preamplifier with 68db gain (MC) to sit next to my turntable. I am not terribly experienced with analog. Is it ok to use a 4 meter cable run between phono preamp and linestage? I'm sure it's better than sending an unamplified MC signal over 4 meters of cable to my full function preamplifier. Please note I do not have sufficient room to place my full function pre or my entire rack near the listening chair. Thanks for your opinions. Perhaps I'm overthinking this :))
audiobrian
Hi Audiobrian,

I looked up the capacitance of your Cabledyne Silver Reference. The 4 mts of it will yield 160pf for each channel. This combined with the 300ohms output impedance of your phono pre will give you a -3db at 3.3ghz!! Which is no trouble at all, bats wouldn't even hear this hf roll off.

If you use the same interconnect between your VAC pre (which is half that of the of the phono pre at 143ohms) and your poweramp it is even better at -3db at 6.8ghz!!!

So the end result is you can use it either way, go with what sounds best and convenient to you, as either way you are not causing any roll off into the audio bands high frequency.

Cheers George
I agree with George's comments, except I think that when he typed "ghz" (gigaHertz) he meant to say "mhz" (megaHertz).

Regards,
-- Al
Thank you for your calculations and practical info George!
I will now go with convenience, knowing there is no sonic price to pay either way:))
Much appreciated!
No problems Audiobrian, your 4mt long interconnects are so low in capacitance you could even use a 10kohm passive preamp with them no problems, this would be around -3db at 300khz still.

Cheers George