Getting great stereo sound from multi channel sys.

Here's the background:

I'm thinking about getting the GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two Speaker System. I'm primarily interested in maximizing stereo performance (i.e. music) and multi-channel performance (i.e. movies) is a secondary concern.

So here's my question: What's the best amplifier, preamp, and/or A/V receiver configuration for my needs? Here are the alternatives I've thought of:

1. Get two stereo power amps, a stereo preamp with HT bypass, and a surround processor
2. Get an A/V receiver
3. Get a surround processor and a multi-channel power amp

What are the benefits/tradeoffs with each alternative? Are there any other options I haven't considered that might be better? Thanks for your help!
cdxskier
I find it a bit curious that those endorsing option 1 are not also commenting on the op's choice of speakers. The GoldenEars seem to me to be an odd choice for someone who wants to maximize 2 channel stereo performance.

As one who strongly endorses option 1, I will not comment on the OPs' choice of speakers. As we all know, speakers are highly subjective and since I never heard a pair, they might sound great for music.

I have heard flagship AVR's and pre/pros though, and these IMO do not sound great with music.
I can't comment on the OP's choice of speakers because I haven't heard them.
Another vote for Option 1- get the best pre-amp that you can afford as it will be the heart of your system! keep us posted and happy listening!
Option 1 is probably best on a budget.

Option 3 is definitely best IF you buy the RIGHT digital processor. The list is short - I would select a Meridian 861 or G65 or G68, or the excellent Theta Casablanca. The room correction these processors provide clearly trumps any disadvantages in going through an A/D and D/A for your analog sources. In addition, the Meridian "apodizing" reconstruction filters correct most CD problems - your CD's sound like SACD or DVD-A's. As a bonus, these processors include the Trifield algorithm which gives you a very good center channel with stereo sources. Stereo imaging and depth of field using this algorithm is better than ANY two-channel system, regardless of the price tag.
Cdxskier, I'm going to take a step back and take a different approach. First, welcome to the forum! Second, your comments indicate that you don't have any equipment yet so I'm going to assume that you are building a system.

When building a system, the conventional wisdom is to pick your speakers first; then an amp to match well with your speakers. The preamp will often be determined by your source or the "flavor" of sound you prefer.

It is from the perspective of this conventional wisdom that I am curious about your choice of speaker. The side firing woofers might be a source of some difficult acoustic issues in your room if you are trying to truly maximize the sound quality for stereo listening.

Clearly the best HT systems include timbre matched speakers all the way around. However, if multichannel is secondary to stereo, then I recommend finding the best left and right mains you can find within your budget. Spend your money on what is important to you, stereo. With some patience and research, you can fill in the center and surrounds without spending much.

If you have already heard several different speakers and have settled on the Triton Two because of their sound, then great. If not, please listen to a few other speakers if possible before you purchase. Given the MSRP price of $3K for a pair of Triton Twos, I think you should be able to find some excellent speakers for the same money, especially on the used market. Totem, Aerial, Silverline, Thiel, Harbeth, Spendor, PSB and Paradigm are brands who have some products with great performance to price value on the used market.

Finally, if you'd like more help with suggestions, provide some additional info with respect to budget, room dimensions, and source.