Getting great stereo sound from multi channel sys.

Here's the background:

I'm thinking about getting the GoldenEar Technology TritonCinema Two Speaker System. I'm primarily interested in maximizing stereo performance (i.e. music) and multi-channel performance (i.e. movies) is a secondary concern.

So here's my question: What's the best amplifier, preamp, and/or A/V receiver configuration for my needs? Here are the alternatives I've thought of:

1. Get two stereo power amps, a stereo preamp with HT bypass, and a surround processor
2. Get an A/V receiver
3. Get a surround processor and a multi-channel power amp

What are the benefits/tradeoffs with each alternative? Are there any other options I haven't considered that might be better? Thanks for your help!
cdxskier

Showing 4 responses by zd542

Option 1, and consider the 2 channel preamp as the most important component.
"If you do plan to use them, Option 1 may not be your best choice. IME, AVRs and Pre-Pros will likely get you substantially better subwoofer integration than you'll achieve with a traditional stereo preamp. "Likely" is the key word there, as absolutes are risky, but the bass management systems in pre-pros and AVRs really do this job well."

The OP's preference is pretty strong for 2 channel. Going with theater gear just to integrate a sub probably wouldn't be worth it for the hit you will most certainly take in overall SQ. It may be a little more work, but you can get a sub working well without all the processing. For a system like this, a sub made for music would probably be a better choice. Or maybe just use the sub for theater only.
I can't comment on the OP's choice of speakers because I haven't heard them.
"09-06-14: Dcbingaman
Option 1 is probably best on a budget.

Option 3 is definitely best IF you buy the RIGHT digital processor. The list is short - I would select a Meridian 861 or G65 or G68, or the excellent Theta Casablanca. The room correction these processors provide clearly trumps any disadvantages in going through an A/D and D/A for your analog sources."

I don't know if I would agree with that. I had an 800 and an 861, and didn't think that much of them for stereo. For theater, they make very good products, but I feel you can do much better, for much less money. No to go too far off topic, but I feel so much is wasted when you go with a Meridian system. You buy a 20k CD/DVD player and use it just as a transport (and it has a computer CD/DVD drive, no less). From there, the signal goes to a 20k full function HT processor. One again, you bypass the analog stage, and are just using the processor for digital only. The digital signal signal is then sent to the DAC inside the speaker. That's the last place I would want a DAC. (I know the OP is probably not considering Meridian speakers. I mention them just to make a complete example.) Why pay that kind of money for things you are not using? I do agree with you on using a phantom center channel. To me, it sounds better.