Jolida JD102CRC

I'm seriously considering ordering a Jolida JD102CRC because I've really wanted to get into the world of tubes for a while. My real main hesitation is that I can't find much in the way of solid reviews or "reliable" information on Jolida. I see a lot of back and forth on whether it's just trash, or a solid entry level tube amp producer that happens to start their amps off with pretty low quality stock tubes... and all you need to do is upgrade those and you've got a really good amp for reasonable money.

Can someone shed some light on this particular model or recommend something else in THE SAME PRICE RANGE (~$875). No I can't jump to a PrimaLuna at 2 or 3 times the price.

My other consideration is a Peachtree Decco65 or Nova125, which would solve my need for a DAC at the same time... but I'm very hesitant to get something with a built in DAC. It just seems planned obseletion.

I'm looking to pull the trigger on something within the next week if possible.

Current System:

Vandersteen 1Cs
NAD 3140
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red
greatwhitebat
"08-07-14: Greatwhitebat
Oh, and one more question:

Can I use the NAD Phono stage through the pre out into the aux in as a temporary phono stage until I purchase something else like a Pro-Ject Phono Box?"

Yes, but don't expect it to sound very good.

"08-07-14: Raymonda
The Dennis Had kt88 inspire is sure a sweet amp....Coupled with a passive pre and your nad phono would make a nice combo with the right speakers. Check it out in the tube amp for sale section.
Raymonda (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-07-14: Greatwhitebat
Would that produce enough power?"

Maybe. The 1C's are very easy to drive. If the room isn't too big and you don't listen at very high volume's, it should work. Even though the amp is only 12 watts, amps like that are usually very clean and don't easily distort. I've gotten away with using amps like that with speakers that were harder to drive.

If you are open to something else than the Peachtree, see if you can find a good used Creek 5350SE. I used to have one on my 1C's. I put it next to a bunch of other integrates in that price range, and it easily beat every single one of them. What makes it so good is that Creek realizes its practically impossible to give you a good active line stage at that price point, so they just use a passive. Doing it that way puts it in another league for SQ. Also, the optional phono card's sound very good and are not too expensive.
08-07-14: Greatwhitebat
Can I use the NAD Phono stage through the pre out into the aux in as a temporary phono stage until I purchase something else like a Pro-Ject Phono Box?
The best way of doing that is most likely to use a tape ("rec") output of the NAD, rather than the pre-out. Using the pre-out introduces an unnecessary volume control and a good deal of unnecessary preamp circuitry into the signal path.

Regards,
-- Al
Fyi a tad 60 just came up for sale that ironicly used to belong to me. It is a fantastic amp for the price and the kt 88's are almost new. The creek is also a good recommendation.
"If you are open to something else than the Peachtree, see if you can find a good used Creek 5350SE."

Ok, I'm open to other things.

Honestly I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are.

I really would like to try tubes. I seem to be getting general feedback here that I'm interpreting as "No. Don't". I'm not sure why, but maybe it's just because I'm at the low end of the price range and I need to be somewhere around $1500 before I can actually get something worth owning.

As for the leaning towards peachtree, I'm partially thinking "Hey, if I have to go solid state, why not get the DAC you need in the same package." I also know that I can probably resell the peachtree easily enough with fairly little loss once I save the money for a suitable tube setup.

Another option I have here is in just sticking with the NAD and purchasing a DAC (I'm running all my digital from a headphone output to an RCA). The NAD has a nice phono stage, it sounds really good and it has plenty of power for me.

And yet another option is what you suggested, getting a preamp, perhaps a passive one, and using that with the NAD as an amp.

"Fyi a tad 60 just came up for sale that ironicly used to belong to me. It is a fantastic amp for the price and the kt 88's are almost new. The creek is also a good recommendation."

Yeah, I'm actually quite interested in that. I also saw one elsewhere today that was $125 cheaper, but I don't know what the differences are between the tubes on that one and the one listed here.

I'm looking to see if I can find more info on the TAD 60... like how many inputs it has and whatnot. Power range looks perfect.
"I really would like to try tubes. I seem to be getting general feedback here that I'm interpreting as "No. Don't". I'm not sure why, but maybe it's just because I'm at the low end of the price range and I need to be somewhere around $1500 before I can actually get something worth owning."

Tubes don't guarantee good sound. Its no different than anything else, you still have to pick something that sounds good to you and works well with the rest of your system. Maybe its best that you just hold off for a while and try to listen to some different gear. Reviews and comments are no substitute to having the experience for yourself.
More to discover