Your most disappointing purchase or audition?

I've had a few.

bought a Naim Nait 3. Loved it in the store. Returned it within a week- way forward at home

Brought home some CJ preamp to audition perhaps 22 years ago. Noisy as anything and a turn off transient destroyed a tweeter (though years later i bought a CJ 17LS2 which I thought was the finest preamp I ever heard in my home)

Auditioned a VPI table (HW19) in a store- the store just could not get the belt to stay on. Bought a Rega instead. This was in perhaps 1990.

Fortunately, I never really experienced buyers remorse say 6 months or more after settling on a piece of gear.

Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.
128x128zavato
I concur with Musical Fidelity. A friend lent me his MF amplifier for a few months while he took a trip outside the country. 1970s Japanese solid state from the likes of Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sansui runs circles around it. The owner knowing how to schmooze a few Stereophile writers obviously doesn't correlate to good sound.

Acoustic Zen loudspeakers are horrendous. More than a disappointment, they're a disaster. Some of the worst sounding loudspeakers ever foisted on the high-end. I can't believe anyone could actually live with them.

However, my biggest disappointment vote goes to Legacy loudspeakers. Nice cabinetry, midlevel drivers, some of the most disappointing sound from a guy who knew how to write great ad copy in the early 1990s by claiming superiority over named competitive products. I was all ready to buy a pair until I actually heard them. Totally opened my eyes about audio, as I learned to forget about drinking by the label, or reading the magazines.
Wow! Joe (Trelja), I have no opinion about Acoustic Zen speakers, as I've never heard them. But I must say that I'm struck by how widely opinions can diverge among those whose perceptions I've come to respect and value. See the posts by Charles1dad, Schubert, and others in this thread.

If I may ask, what didn't you like about them, and what kinds of speakers do you particularly like? I'm sincerely curious.

Best regards,
-- Al
Best response yet

"my ex-wife"

Comparing my soon to be ex, I suppose the Nait 3 I briefly owned was better

Krell 300i. Couldn't wait to get it out of my system, and I'm a Krell fan. Weak sound, lousy bass, lack of resolution, noisy, ...