Upgrade-itus: Classé DR-9 vs. MF A3.2?

Hello Audiogon and your infinite wisdom.
I have the option to buy a Classé DR-9 to replace my MF A3.2 integrated. The MF IS 185w @ 4 ohms the Classé 200w @ 4 ohms. I'm driving Dynaudio Contour S1.4 monitors.

Thoughts? I'm sure both are good, what will the sound differences be? Dynamics, hi, lo, sound stage, warmth?

For the short term the A3.2 will be pre-amp.
Thanks!
Andy
128x128ucrazykid
$850 for the Classe
As a point of interest, according to some older literature I have the DR-9 originally sold in 1988 for $3450. According to the U.S. Dept. of Labor's online CPI inflation calculator, that equates to $6951 in today's dollars.

I have not heard the DR-9, but I have some familiarity with Dave Reich's designs and their reputation. Notwithstanding the very considerable respect I have for Bill/Grannyring's opinions and experience (and certainly as well for Frogman's), if I were in need of a power amp and didn't want to spend thousands I would pay $850 for a top condition DR-9 in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
-- Al
Well I purchased my DR9 back in 1989 used for $1300 if I recall from a dealer in Massachusetts. I used it to drive my KEF105.2 speakers. This was my first high end system! Fun stuff. I owned this rig for 14 years and really know this amp pretty well.

The amp could be as old as 27 to 28 years old. I have very fond memories of it. That is very, very old folks. The amp is a little dark on top with some grain in the upper mids. In all other areas the amp was very good........at the time. This grain was evident in all SS amps of that vintage.

For $1000 and under several Class D amps would even sound better today.
Monarchy SS and hybrid amps would be a better choice. A Belles Reference 150 can be had for $1200. A nice Blue Circle SS or Hybrid amp would sound better.

I will say it again. Better sound can be had today for the same or close money without the added risk of owning a near 30 year old product that will indeed be prone to repair and hassle.

Hope it is OK for me to share my opinion and experience here? The poster is asking about this amp and I am helping to give a FULL view of it. That is why this forum is good for all of us.