Any thoughts on removing a preamp from your system

Hello guys

This is my first post and I have been on Audiogon for a number of years now.

My question to the group is, have any of you removed your preamp completely from your system? Run your front ends straight to your amp? And, what benefits have you noticed, if any.

And finally, if you have used a passive preamp in your system, what are your thoughts on the setup?

I understand one would need to have some sort of "pot" in the signal path to regulate volume.

Herb
hcalland
There is no right or wrong answer. Each case will be different. PErsonally I would strive to minimize the role of the pre-amp. IT is needed for source switching if more than one source and volume control only for the most part these days. Everything else can be addressed elsewhere case by case if needed.

I have several older pre-amps around that I continue to use because they are there and they work well. Were I starting from scratch today, I would probably consider building around a high quality passive pre-amp with volume control and enough inputs and outputs to suit my needs. That's pretty much it. I would expect top notch results possible with this approach for lower cost if done right.
I have used a passive (Sonic Euphoria) in the past and also run my cd players or dac straight to my power amp. Bottom line my Shindo Auriges is simply superior to anything else I have tried. The Shindo gives me an emotional connection to music that can't be surpassed
Alan
Hello Herb, I have tried to remove a preamp from my system several times over the last 20 years or so. Either by going direct from source to amp or using a passive control unit. Basically, all I really learned from my experimentation was just how important a preamplifier can be in the overall sound of a system.

I have found that preamps can be the most difficult part of a system to get right, but when you do, it's stunning, as Alan (Arh) has also noted. At this point, I do not plan any further experiments without preamps, in fact now I believe the preamp to be the heart and soul of the system. As usual, YMMV.
Amp should have high input impedance and sufficient input sensitivity to suit passive preamp.
I have tried it many times, I've always gone back to my trusted preamp... But, I'm doing it again shortly. Just built a DIY ES9018 USB Dac that is bit perfect through windows volume control... So, one more try for me.
Tim