When to power off a tube amp?

So I just got new tubes for my Lyr and really don't want to damage these tubes and want them to last for as long as possible. So I had a few questions and was hoping you guys could help me, thanks.

1) Should I turn off the amp if I am going to away for like an hour or so? Would that decrease the life of my tubes more than leaving it on that whole time I am not using them?

2) Should I let my tubes warm up before using them? If so, how long should I wait?

3) Is unplugging my headphones before turning off my amp necessary?

And just a random question out of curiosity, what if you use two different tubes in a tube amp? lol.

Thank you guys, any help would be much appreciated.
highrolller
Well apparently turning on the amp is what decreases the life of the tubes? Does it decrease the life more than just leaving it on for that hour of absence? I really want to know as I am buying some Amperex pinched waists 6922 with D-getters which are considered the rarest tube in the 6dj8 family and they are not cheap... So I need to prolong their life as long as possible.

Also, if I don't let the tubes warm up before use, what happens? Decrease in tube life or does it just sound bad?
I own a Lyr and love it although it's had about 8 hours of use since it was new. I let it warm up for about 3-5 minutes. You can't hurt the tubes by listening immediately. If I'm getting up to prepare dinner and plan to continue listening later it stays on. If I'm not going to listen for another hour and a half I shut it off.

I personally would not run this headphone amp with extremely expensive and rare tubes. I'd do that with say a high end all tube unit, but not the Lyr. No reason other than why spend half of what the unit costs on tubes? I'm sure there's plenty of great sounding tubes that aren't as rare or expensive. I still run stock only because I barely use the Lyr to justify owning it.
Highroller, whenever this topic comes up there is disagreement. I haven't seen one of these discussions come to an agreement anyway.

Personally, I think the preponderance of the evidence indicates that you should turn your tube preamp off if you are not going to be listening to it within the next two hours.

You want to avoid turning it on and off several times a day also, but to let the tubes burn for hours while not listening is just using them up with no benefit. Turning them on for 10 or 15 minutes of listening doesn't make sense either. If you want to listen for a few minutes use your computer.

If you are using inexpensive current production tubes, leave them on all day and have a spare set handy. Put the new ones in every once in a while and when the new ones sound better than the old ones, leave them in and order another pair.

That's my opinion. I would call the people at Schiit and ask them what they recommend.
Highroller -- good question ... good questions all. Let me summarize the opinions given above. Let's see ... uuhhm, exploding tubes, out-of-control tube oscillations taking out speakers, fire hazards, shortened tube live if tubes are turned on and off ....

I finally get it. Boy am I dumb. If you own tube gear, the best way to avoid all of the these hazards and perils is simply not to turn on the system. Or, ... dump the tube gear and get a Phlame Linear 400, or just plain ole' SS gear. Anyone looking to buy ARC ref level gear??

:( :( :(

This thread gets my lowest rating. 3 unhappy faces.

Cheers,

Bruce
I had a NOS JAN Philips 12AT7 flame out in my Jolida last year...harmed nothing, replaced both 12AT7s under warranty (thank you thetubestore) with nice matched CV4024 Blackburn Mullards, and have been living happily ever after. I don't leave the amp on when I'm out, and turn my entire system off at the end of the day or if I'm gone for more than a few hours. The NOS Mullards do provide an entertaining flash on startup, and I don't think new (current repros from New Sensor) ones do that...at least the 12ax7s I have in a guitar amp.