Can you ever go back and be happy?

My audiophile friends and I often discuss if we know any highenders who have great planar speakers (Soundlabs,Apogees,Magnepans) that could go back to a box enclosure speaker and could truely be satisfied with the sound of their system. We believe there is a special quality the way a well designed planar loads a room which just sounds more natural and real to us compared with a baffled speaker design. On to the question. Not including having to down size or change speakers because of $issues or logistics, having to move your sytem to a smaller space etc., have any of you GON members gone from a world class planar to a box enclosed design and were able to really be happy and not long for the "good old planar days". We do not personally know anyone who has ever done it and was truly happy about afterwards. It would be great if any of you fellow GON members can relate to this question through your own personal experience and share your opinions with us.
teajay
I have enjoyed reading these posts, if I msy I would like to ask....

Between the Eminent Technology LFTVIIIa and the
VMPS RM2

Wich in your opinions is the best all around choice, they are $1000 diffrent in price.

I have talked to Bruce at ET and Brian at VMPS, its gonna be one of these 2....please add comments and thanks,

BTW Both said, equipment, power and room was very suitable.
Wow, look at that array of Soundlabs. Whew, imagine the low-end extension and dynamics. Gorgeous. I'll take a set in maple.
I have often gone back. I have had Magnaplanors from ARC, KLH 9s (electrostats), Infinity Servo-Statics (electrostats), Martin Logans (electrostats), Sound Labs A-1 (electrostats), and an electrostatic speaker out of Florida whose name I cannot recall. In between I have had various dynamic driver speakers. Before I had any of these I had various horn speakers and presently I have horn speakers. It is the dynamics and effortness of these as well as their efficiency which allows the use of low power amps that is what always draws me back to them.

I could never get used to 6' wide mouths of vocalists on planar speakers.
My first taste of planar speakers were Apogee Duetta II's, man did I ever love those speakers. Kids came along and I thought it best to sell'em off before they got damaged, huge mistake. Stupid thing to do.

I went through several different box speakers before I bought a pair of Martin Logan Quest Z speakers; I enjoyed them but they didn't have the same connection to the music as my Apogees did. I eventually sold the ML's and now use Eminent Technology LFT VIIIa's in my main system. I really like the ET's and see no reason to make another change (famous last words). There's just something about ribbons that sound right to me, of course you need an amp that can drive'em. So.. there's no going back. Jeff
" I could never get used to 6' wide mouths of vocalists on planar speakers."

LOL, thats funny!, I'm glad my Apogees don't do that.

Dave