why spikes under speakers???

could you guys educate me about the use or need for spikes under speakers, it seems to me that putting an air pocket under a speaker would be the last thing you want to do, isnt bas about pressure? and if you put a gap of air between speakers and floor arent you losing some of what makes bass work? I am not claiming this to be bad, I simply want to pose my questions about this concept and get educated on why this is a good idea, and when it may not be a good idea...thanks
chadnliz
I don't use "spikes", I use Audiopoints.

These actually do work.
I never confuse "spikes" with Audiopoints, since they are totally different devices, that happen to look similar to other spikes.

Tom Lyons
Starsound Technologies
S7horton..."knowledgeable" on this subject, perhaps, but that's not the same as "intelligent".
OK, then let me rephrase:

The idea that spikes or cones or Audiopoints "drain" vibrational energy from anything is quite possibly the most absurd idea I have ever heard. It is not only totally ridiculous, but physically impossible.

Feel better now?

With that said, note that I do not claim that they do not work, or do not help to improve the sound of speakers put upon them. In fact, my opinion is quite the opposite. They DO work and the effect they have is easily discernible in many situations. They just don't bring about that effect by draining vibrational energy as Blkadr suggested. This is an absurd concept which has no basis in physics or fact.
The idea that a cone can act to decouple and block vibration sounds no less absurd than the notion that cones can channel vibration. If the large surface area of a cone is in contact with the chassis of a component and the componenet is vibrating due to 'airborn vibration', the cone will vibrate also. I submit cones can reduce vibratoin in the chassis even if it is resting on an decoupled shelf. If this is so, then where is the vibration going? Is it dissapated as heat at the cone's small contact point? Or do you think that the only effect is decoupling?
I have seen cones reduce energy in a component that was sitting on a decoupled shelf. I dont think my idea is absurd.