Am I crazy????? Try THIS

So my friend needs stands for his book shelf speakers. We can't find any in my little town. I had an idea, HANG THEM!!! They sound so much better. Why? Before you get crazy we didn't have to drill the cabinets or anything we just built a "harness" of sorts. It looks somewhat different, but for about $11.75 we hung both his speakers with braided wire and some eye screws etc. And they sound better to me. Anyone done this?

rf
rfernandez
Line...I have a little Boston Acoustics A40 that I will try. I have weighed it (10 pounds) and trussed it up with a rope so I can hang it. I haven't got around to doing the experiment yet...will report results.
Bottom line regarding why they sound better where they're at is that the speakers are probably in a much better acoustical spot overall! If your speakers are coupling with the room (bass) better, and imaging better(in relation to room boundaries from where you are sitting/listening), it's because the location is better than it was, in relation!
Speaker/seating location, location, location!...nothings changed...
The experiment has been run, and here are the results.

The Boston Acoustics speaker weighing ten pounds was suspended by a single rope, so that it was about ¼ inch above a table top..just about ear level for a seated person. The center of the speaker was 63 inches from the pivot point in the ceiling, and the period of pendulum swing was measured as 2.5 seconds, which is 0.4 Hz. Loud organ music was played…as loud as the speaker could handle.

Because of the way the speaker was hung it never completely stopped swinging at 0.4 Hz. The motion was about 1/8 inch peak to peak. (The motion was easy to evaluate because the speaker was ¼ inch from the table top). This was with no music playing. If I were going to hang speakers permanently I guess I would use three ropes/chains.

When the music started the small motion of the speaker was very carefully observed for any change relative to what was happening before. There was absolutely no effect as a result of playing the music. The test was repeated about five times.

This is the first time I have hung a speaker in many years, and although when I did I never was conscious of them moving, I must admit that I never looked for movement at the level of this experiment.

By the way, the little box sounded much better than I expected, and I think that I have solved the problem of where to put the rear speakers in my HT set up. Up till now the B&W 550s have just been kicking around behind the couch.
i have grounded my cerwin vega re-30. they were being used as my rear channels. so i reversed the room layout. put the tv and everything on the oppsite wall and hung my nht2.5i upside down using the same celling ancors. re-30 are still rear channels. half inch i bolts screwed into the threaded t-nuts used for the outriggers. i used a washer and a nut to lock the i-bolt in place. used black webbing and a swivel to string it all together. t-nuts should only see about 14 lbs of weight each. i did this about a week ago and i have seen no problems. the grills even went on upsidedown to keep name upright. the tweater is just over ear level while sitting.

now using a swivel the speakers can move freely in any direction. i tried using chains but it looked awful, i could not get them square to the room and it put the speaker in direct contact with structure of the house (which i think is undesireable).

so they can move in any direction they want, and with side fireing sub this could get intersting.

i put a lazer on top of one of the speakers facing the oppsite wall. any movement showes up. it took about 10 minuts for them to stop moving after i set the lazer in place.

i just got started with the lazer and it seems that the speakers sit just as still as i do. if i sit still the lazer does also. if i walk quickly around the house they will move a little bit. if i simply blow on the side of the speaker the lazer moves off the chart. none of this movement is seen without the help of the lazer.

that being said, the music does not seem to cause them to move at any volume. i am on my second disk (foxy brown/broken slience), before that was eagles, greatest hits vol 2. trust me i crank it up when i get the chance. i don't have any test cd's but i think i will try "fat boy slim" next.

the lazer i'm using is craftsmen lazer/level. i will continue to listen to loud music of all kinds and report back the first time i see that music has made the speakers move.