Am I crazy????? Try THIS

So my friend needs stands for his book shelf speakers. We can't find any in my little town. I had an idea, HANG THEM!!! They sound so much better. Why? Before you get crazy we didn't have to drill the cabinets or anything we just built a "harness" of sorts. It looks somewhat different, but for about $11.75 we hung both his speakers with braided wire and some eye screws etc. And they sound better to me. Anyone done this?

rf
rfernandez
I hung some old pioneer speakers I bought mail order. but later it was proved they were innocent. It was the amp!
In live sound they hang speakers all the time. It tends to be one of the best ways to mount speakers.
Hanging sceptics will never be convinced until they try it. For those who have a logical bent, the following points may be of interest.

1. The mass of the speaker cone, and the air it moves, is tiny compared with the mass of the loudspeaker enclosure. For this reason movement of the enclosure will be unmeasurable. Vibration of the typical enclosure wall due to internal sound pressure will far exceed motion of the entire enclosure.

2. If the ropes or chains that suspend the speaker are three feet or more long, the pendulum swinging frequency of the rig will be 1 Hz or lower. No audio signal can excite swinging at this frequency.

3. The loudspeaker cone that emits midrange sound is vibrating a great deal at lower frequency, and when LPs are played, pushed in and out at subsonic frequency due to record warp. This does affect sonic quality, tolerable, but much more than any loudspeaker enclosure vibration.

4. When music is played the instruments move around a good deal, and even audiophiles don't usually put their heads in a clamp when they listen. Even if the speakers should move around a bit it wouldn't matter.

In my opinion, enclosure vibration is not a real issue however you mount it, (so long as it isn't so loose that it rattles) but hanging the speakers in free space away from floor and walls is good. Tall skinny speaker stands do the same thing.
Many speaker designs benefit from boundary reinforcement (bass gain) from proximity to foor plus rear wall. Put the numbers into CARA and view the huge difference placement make.

http://www.cara.de/ENU/index.html

Bookshelf speakers in particular are seldom the last word in bass response, hanging them could cut further into perceived bass response.

Ultimately, if you like them hung, go for it. If not, there are dozens of floor stands you can try.
How far are they from the floor? I tried this a long time ago but looking back think I hung them too high (ear level when standing).