Will Creek 5350 SE drive Magnepan 1.6QR?

Will my Creek 5350SE drive a pair of magnepan 1.6QRs? Room size is 25*12. If not could you recommend an amp for around $800-1000 to drive the maggies.
mwthorne
M,

My room size (24' X 14')is similar in size to yours. In your price range I would listen to an Anthem MCA-20 ($950 new), a used Odyssey Stratos with cap upgrade or extreme version, or maybe one of the Carver ZR series amps. The ZR1000 and ZR1600 amps including the neccessary mods are in your range. I have used these in the past as well as a few others with my 1.6QR's and I thought they offered pretty good performance for the money.

Good luck!
What is the power rating of your amp at 4 ohm impedance? The amp must also be STABLE at 4 ohms. I used a Spectron 1 with a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 tube preamp. The Spectron 1 is a class D switching amp, so it produces 500 wpc at 4 ohms, is VERY small (about the size of a thick laptop computer), and only draws 20 watts at idle, so it can be left on permanently. Remember, the chief complaint against the Maggie 1.6's is a lack of base, which usually results from inadequate power. The 1.6's need mondo power to achieve good bass! Use a tube preamp as well with the Spectron 1.
As for integrates go.. Musical Fidelity A300 will drive the 1.6s very well.It drove my 2.5Rs without problems.The amplifier was just barely warm even when pushed half volume(this is well above my normal listening levels).You also have the Portal Panache(Normally sells around $900 used ).The Carver ZR series amplifiers are worth a try as well.There's plenty of amplifiers in your price range on Agon that will drive the Maggies without difficulty.It is more about the sound your looking for.

Good Luck!
Yes indeed, as to the used Bryston 4B. Twill do the job. I used that for my Magnaplanar Tympani 1-Ds years ago. They sounded even better with bridged Brystons. Maggies need oodles of watts. Quality watts come with a price. Forget the Creek. For your Maggies, it'll be like running the hundred yard dash breathing through a cocktail straw. You'll be one unhappy customer.
I used an Anthem MCA-2 channel for about 2 years with my 1.6's and had plenty of power. Smooth sound very good low end a solid performer. Use a good solid strand power cord like a Virtual Dynamics and you could live with it for a good long time.
You can find them for about $500.00 on this site.
I now use a Sim W-5 but is a little pricey for you just now.
Remember.,,get the best possible component you can afford even if you can't cause you'll just end up trading anyways which is also part of the game .
One thing about the Maggies the better the gear up front the better they will sound.You'll never outclass them except maybe the 3.6's or 20's
Cheers,Peter