The Demise of the Hi-End Audio Store

Ok. So I've read hundred's of forum posts from a lot of people and one question keeps popping into my head. Where does everyone listen (test out) all of this equipment? I don't know about you but I live in a fairly populated area, Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, and while there are a few (and I only mean a few) high end audio stores in my area, there are limited hi end brands in those stores. Ten years ago that was a different story, but this is the reality today.

So while I want to listen to equipment I'm interested in (Jolida, Prima Luna, Silverline, LSA, the list goes on and on), there isn't the opportunity.

Does everyone really travel hundreds of miles to listen to new components or do you do your research and buy what you think will work and go from there?

Thanks
panfish
The first high end dealer I went to recommended I just buy what he had. I thought it sounded okay but was curious about what MORE could I get. Was I missing out on something better? Was my Holy Grail just around the corner at the next high end shop? He warned me about going to endless stores as I would just get confused.

He was right.

Then again, before the internet, I would have just bought an Onkyo from the same store I purchased my Panasonic (which died after 12 years). Would have been too stupid to realize I wasn't getting something very good if it wasn't for the internet =:-0
The way I view a B&M operation, it is only as good as the owner wanting to succeed.
Happy Listening!
I agree with much if not all said above. There's only a few hi-end stores in the Philly area. And I think the difficulties mentioned above about working with B&M shops is no less true here. The old days when I could hang around a store and just listen, learn and schmooze are no more.

Today I read a lot, especially the many comments and experiences of audiophiles right here on A'gon. I take with a grain of salt reviewer article when I see every free space loaded with equipment ads. Sometimes I feel the reviewer is just advertising for his sponsors. In the old days J Gordon Holt's Stereophile "booklet" did not accept advertising. Not so today.

So I guess my approach is read as much as I can, buy pre-owned, try and keep what I like, and sell if not, or if I want to try something else. I find that I don't lose a lot of $$ on resales if I stick to top grade gear like ARC.
Bifwynne, I spent years listening at high end stores and ARC was my favorite. Now I have PrimaLuna with NOS tubes that I like even better, although I must add, you have to buy the high priced tubes to bring it up to the level of ARC.

This is just something else to consider if you like ARC, also the sound is a little "fatter" is the only way I can explain the difference, and I like "fatter".
One reason I'm off tubes, buy a 2k pre and then need 3k worth of NOS tubes, which likely as not, are fakes anyway.