The Demise of the Hi-End Audio Store

Ok. So I've read hundred's of forum posts from a lot of people and one question keeps popping into my head. Where does everyone listen (test out) all of this equipment? I don't know about you but I live in a fairly populated area, Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, and while there are a few (and I only mean a few) high end audio stores in my area, there are limited hi end brands in those stores. Ten years ago that was a different story, but this is the reality today.

So while I want to listen to equipment I'm interested in (Jolida, Prima Luna, Silverline, LSA, the list goes on and on), there isn't the opportunity.

Does everyone really travel hundreds of miles to listen to new components or do you do your research and buy what you think will work and go from there?

Thanks
panfish
Friends, we are a dying breed, ageing and falling in numbers. Shops, high or low end, can only be supported by a customer base, it is tiny. Take a look at the magazines, they were sold in the 100's of thousands in the 70's. I think it was reported recently that HiFi+ had a worldwide sale of 6 or 8000, that's all. I know they have an online version, but the market is tiny.
Paradoxically we have more and more brands, often selling a few high cost units a year, built by hand, to order.
These numbers, this market, can't really support expensive, bricks and mortar stores. Even in large conurbations, I do'nt know how they survive. In Minnesota, where Great Northern Sound was, till it closed, sadly, you do'nt really have a passing trade.
Then we'll die. And the people who remain can listen to MP3's, view the world through their I-phones and eat at McDonalds. I leave them to it and wish them the best of luck.
In NYC. amomg Wall St and Forex traders, 50 K is an impulse buy. In Mpls. to young MBA crowd it requires thought, the average young Mayo Doc wil burst out laughing
Schubert, "the hi-end model shifted to making a lot of money off each unit from making a decent amount off more units"

This assertion is 100% accurate.
Foster_9,

Audiocraft in Cleveland is pretty decent. They used to be very heavy into McIntosh but it looks like they switched to other brands. I need to get over ther to listen to the Golden Ears for sure. Audiocraft used to have a few stores and carried a much wider variety. But that was years ago.

There is another store I heard of within the last week called Don Better Audio. He actually carries some rather unique product.

Thanks