The Demise of the Hi-End Audio Store

Ok. So I've read hundred's of forum posts from a lot of people and one question keeps popping into my head. Where does everyone listen (test out) all of this equipment? I don't know about you but I live in a fairly populated area, Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, and while there are a few (and I only mean a few) high end audio stores in my area, there are limited hi end brands in those stores. Ten years ago that was a different story, but this is the reality today.

So while I want to listen to equipment I'm interested in (Jolida, Prima Luna, Silverline, LSA, the list goes on and on), there isn't the opportunity.

Does everyone really travel hundreds of miles to listen to new components or do you do your research and buy what you think will work and go from there?

Thanks
panfish
Not in order of importance but there's any number of online reviewers who will get back to you. Then there's Elliot Midwood of Acoustic Image who lives close by and like Hifigary said, if you live in an area where there are some salons or homes where they operate out of, relationships can and will develop.

Despite all I mentioned, your ears are the final arbiter. As much as I value what resources I've developed, I've found enough space between they and me that I end up trusting my own ears (and wallet).

All the best,
Nonoise
Here's an idea. Find out what stores are within a few hundred miles of you and take a weekend trip to fly down (Southwest Airline,etc.) fairly inexpensive. Stay a hotel nearby, contact the dealer and tell them you plan on coming by to audition some of their equipment. Make a weekend trip out of it. I live in the LA area. There really aren't that many stores that I really trust. So, taking a trip to Northern California or to San Diego is not a big deal for me. About 120 miles to San Diego and about 400 miles to Northern California. If I am thinking of spending a considerable amount to upgrade equipment, I will not purchase without listening first and most times won't purchase without it being demo'd in my system. My favorite store in San Diego has no problem allowing me to take home demo pieces for a week or so to audition. My point is make a list of the products you may be interested in. Get on-line and find out where the dealers are for those products and hopefully, they have more than one at their shop and make a weekend trip of it.
just a thought.

enjoy
I'm fortunate that my work has me traveling all over the country on a regular basis. This gives me the luxury of being able to visit many different audio stores across the nation and listen to pieces of equipment that I otherwise might only see on the pages of magizines or on the internet.

Al. Wise
Panfish, how's Audio Craft in Cleveland? I've passed it before when visiting the city on business. Have you heard the Golden Ear speakers? They are supposed to be a dealer.
listening at a dealer will not tell you what a compoent sounds like. you need to get the component installed in your own system.

you may need to travel, or deal over the web.