The Demise of the Hi-End Audio Store

Ok. So I've read hundred's of forum posts from a lot of people and one question keeps popping into my head. Where does everyone listen (test out) all of this equipment? I don't know about you but I live in a fairly populated area, Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, and while there are a few (and I only mean a few) high end audio stores in my area, there are limited hi end brands in those stores. Ten years ago that was a different story, but this is the reality today.

So while I want to listen to equipment I'm interested in (Jolida, Prima Luna, Silverline, LSA, the list goes on and on), there isn't the opportunity.

Does everyone really travel hundreds of miles to listen to new components or do you do your research and buy what you think will work and go from there?

Thanks
panfish
Elizabeth is right. No one I know travels far and wide to hear something save for some audio show, and then everyone is always apologizing for the sound due to the venue.

Back in the day, salons carried only select brands that they liked or could sell and if one ever brought up another brand they didn't carry, the session could go sour real quick, especially if you didn't back down.

The way to go now seems to be sites like Audio Geek and Cable Co. and others who will send out a demo piece (using your CC as collateral) and all you'll be out of pocket for is the return shipping when you're done. If you ask me, that kind of widens the playing field as long as you're not demoing full range speakers and the like.

I'm still on the fence about demoing a Luxman SQ-N10 tube integrated from the Cable Co. myself.

All the best,
Nonoise
We here in NY have it good. There are very few brands that we do not have access to--even after Sound By Singer closed it's large downtown store (and reopened an appointment only location). Without any deep thinking, I count 10 high end shops in Manhattan alone---- all stocked with different brands. Add NJ to the mix with the likes of Audio Connection, GTT Audio, Audio Nexus, CSA Audio and others --and you've pretty much got the field covered. We realize how lucky we are.
I've been using the Audio Mart/ AudiogoN/ Audio Trader/ etc "buy 'n try" method for the last couple of decades. I do some research, and have come to know some folks whose ears I trust (non-media). In my opinion, there really is no substitute for listening to the piece of equipment in YOUR room, with YOUR gear and cables, using music that YOU are familiar with and YOUR ears.

For me, listening at dealers did not really give me much help. Whether I was unfamiliar with the room, other equipment or cables. Too many times I found that things sounded different at the dealers then in my home.
We here in NY have it good. There are very few brands that we do not have access to--even after Sound By Singer closed it's large downtown store. There are at least 12 high end shops in Manhattan that I can think of without any real effort---- all stocked with different brands. Add NJ to the mix with the likes of Audio Connection, GTT Audio, Audio Nexus, CSA Audio and others --and you've pretty much got the field covered. We realize how lucky we are.
So there you go. Nothing to complain about. I do relate to the OP though. Yes, they only carried a few brands. But a handful of hi end shops in a population of 200,000 or so covered the entire range, pretty well. All the best brands were represented. Carly Simon summed it up pretty well also.