Paradigm Reference Signature Series

Has any done any auditioning of these speakers? I listened to the S8 model and was overly impressed by the bass, whew I thought a subwoofer was in play but it wasn't. The only thing that I found was the tweeter seemed a little edgy. Anyone out there experienceing this? The cabinets are probably the most beautiful cabinet I have seen for less than 20000.00 gorgeous finish.
128x128theo
As far as the tweeter goes, it may have needed a little break in. Paradigm can sound bright before proper break in. Also, any idea what the associated equipment was? I have not heard them, but can't wait. I'm a huge paradigm fan!
Actually I've heard them and they sound much more refined than the studio series. I heard the S8's and the S2's and they were on par with speaekrs in the same price range...easily. Plus in Bird's Eye Maple they were incredibly beautiful. The s2's are a steal at their price as they sounded as god as the signature 805's I heard and better than the nautilus 805's I owned.
S7horton, they were using a Yamaha DVD player and a Anthem pre/pro with Anthem amp. I am sure the Yamaha contributed to the tweeter bright harshness. Why an audio shop would choose to demo a 6000.oo speaker with 3-400 dollar source component, baffles me.
I just spent bunch of time auditioning the Paradigm S8s as an upgrade to my venerable Vandersteen 2C's and $35 garage-sale Technics receiver. I wanted to be able to do HT, but whatever system I bought had to be able to do music well first, and be competent at HT, as well.

Found a brand-new Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-50 at 20% off, and went ahead and made that big plunge without doing a lot of thinking about it. I had heard it and found no obvious flaws--I'd rather listen than spend hours researching equipment. The AVM-20 is incredibly flexible, capable and built with good hardware. Of course, it helps that hubby is an electrical engineer to help me decipher the lingo (we mechanical types tend to get impatient when the different video formats are explained---S-video vs component vs. composite---huh?).

Anyway, the system with the 2Cs and the Anthem equipment is sounding better than ever. The Anthems appear to meet my needs for music and HT for the foreseable future. And the AVM-20 software can be updated over the Internet--nerd heaven!

My point, and I do have one. Back to speakers.

I love my old Vandersteens, so I auditioned the S8s against Vandersteen 3A signatures, which continue to get glowing reviews.

Finally got the dealer to put both speakers in the same room using the same electronics I now have. All I could tell from going between rooms with differing acoustics is that the two systems were different, and both were fine speakers, but which was "better?"

Once both speakers were in the same room, it was no contest, really. The S8 was more detailed, and I could hear things in the music that I hadn't heard with the Vandersteens. Better imaging, and just more musical. But they did all this without being bright or brash or fatiguing (which I am very sensitive to).

The Vandersteen 3As are fine speakers, I thought the S8s were finer for the music I listen to. I'll be placing my order for a Paradigm Signature surround system anchored by the S8s this weekend. Guess I've gone Canadian.

As an engineer, I am also appreciative of the the analytical engineering effort that Paradigm seems to put into their systems.

Other systems I listened to? B&W (which I have never liked, for some reason. Very competent, but . . . ) and Sonus Faber (incredibly fatiguing), JM Labs (not bad, but . . .) and Infinity Prelude (which seemed to sap the life out of the music).

Long answer to a short question, but yes, definitely worth a listen.