Magnepan MMG's just arrived

I took advantage of Magnepan's 60-day trial offer on a new
pair of MMG's ($550 plus shipping) and am, so far, impressed with what I'm hearing! I'm using my old faithful
Mesa Baron Tigris integrated tube amp and an NHT SW-3 sub.
Any MMG owners out there with an opinion of how long it takes to break these in? What amps are you guys using?
Ag insider logo xs@2xdave43
Well then you already know they have no highs so to speak and no lows so to speak, and no dynamics ---- so to speak, now to tell how far they are below the perfomace of your old speakers, put them back in----- ahh yes the trebles back, the bass is back and ---- darn hard to listen to em (the old ones), back to the maggies, too late, you'll never look back.

The maggies need correct set up, play with them, move them forward until the bass is best, not more than an inch at a time, I did say maggies were easy, when they are in the right spot (bass dependant only), do the same for left right, and they MAY NOT be a dead symetrical match depending upon your room.

There better already, now then---- toe them in a little at a time.

Perfect, I think not, your getting there, now then, run to the FOAM BY MAIL store, www.foambymail.com, and order they're foam sound tiles in the accoustic color of your, or your wifes choice and ONE AT A TIME start adding these behind the speakers to tame that MISSING HIGH END, which by now will start to sound just a tad bright.

Uh-oh the rest of the system is showing it inadequacies, time to up grade---

Sorry about that,

BTW, serving the maggies is EXPENSIVE, they tend to like LARGE high current amps, like oh Levinson or (I'm not a Krell fan) Threshold, Gryphon, --- time to scan the used market, a great used Trany based amp can be had for sub 1500 if your paitent.

But then the pre-will show, --- and the cartridge will show, and then the cd/dvd will prove nasty sounding.

And did I mention surround maggies?

Me thinks cocaine or a psychologist is probably cheaper, but then where else can you have this much fun.

Warning: Maggies can lead to loss of wife!

loontoon

Now If I can just find the scratch to come up with the MG20's.
Congratulations on your new adventure. I too am quite a happy Maggie owner. Somehow they bring on a level of musical enjoyment that can be quite captivating. They typically need to be played at a middle volume level to bring them alive.

Loontoon brings up many important tips. Perhaps the Maggies are the toughest speaker to find a matching amplifier. I still am hunting for that ideal high powered / affordable amp that does not break the bank. After trying many ARC tube amps, I found the Counterpoint NPS400 to be an all around winner. I am thinking a second NPS400 might just be the ticket.

As for losing the wife, I keep mine in the basement in a music-only setup so my family does not care. I'm not sure their presence in the family room home theatre setup would be "allowed". But then again, I find the Talons and other dynamic speakers to be better suited for surround sound movie presentations.

So let us know how you feel at the end of 2 months. I suspect Albert is right: they will not be coming back to Minnesota.

John
I agree with all posting above, most with Loontoon. I drive my SMGc (older version) with Classe CA201. My amp is 4-5 times more expensive than the speakers, that is not included the front ends, cables etc... No regret, they do sound lot lot lot better than $2k range speakers out there. The warning of Maggies about the loss of wife from Loontoon is right, but I have learned that I might lost the love of my wife but I have found the love of music again or fall in love with music deeper whenever I sat in front of them. Enjoy your time with them and for your happiness don't forget your love one. She might not soud sweet like Maggies but she fill you up on other areas. :-) Share your toy with her.....
Congrats on the Maggies Dave43.I heard the MMGs at a friends house on a vector integrate 60 wpc also paired with a Adire active sub. Sounded damn goood!!!! I am using a Panny SA-XR25 on a pair of 2.5Rs. With very good results. Had to take the silver cable off thou..too much of a good thing with the ribbon tweeter. Plan to sell but have seriously considered keeping them. Hard to replace the sound of Maggies! Depending on the room your trying to fill it doesn't take a lot of power to get great results.

Happy Listening!!!!