Any WARM, MUSICAL speakers out there?

I have been auditioning a number of speakers in the under $12k category, and I am frustrated at the almost total absence of any "warm", "musical" speakers out there. They are almost entirely the so-called "accurate" or "analytical" variety. Example, to my ears anyway: the Wilson Sophia. Very accurate, analytical, COLD and non-engaging, even through CJ tube gear. One would think that some of the CJ warmth and musicality would have come through, but the Sophia did not alow ANY of that!
I would like to find a musically engaging, warm speaker that does an excellent job with human voices and midrange detail, as the Cremonas do. I will be pairing the new speakers with Conrad Johnson tube electronics. (Yes, they are lush and warm, but that is what I like!)
The ONLY ones providing the warm musicality I seek that I have found are the Sonus Fabers, such as the Cremona. I found the midrange and uppers magical and musically involving.
However, they are not good at rock and roll. Electrostats such as Quads are even worse in that regard. As Sam Tellig pointed out, they (Quads) do NOT rock.

Note: There are no Legacy dealers (for the Focus 20/20) anywhere near me, and the Klipschorn so-called dealer near me only had two of the very smallest models available for audition.

My only two remaining ideas I have are Silverline (as in Sonatas or the new Bolero) and Vienna Acoustics, such as the Mahler or Strauss.However, the Vienna dealer only carries solid state electronics, and I want to hear them through tubes. Does anyone think that either of these might fit the bill?
In his review of the Sonus Faber Cremona in the Aug/Sept. 2003 issue of The Absolute Sound, Wayne Garcia writes,
"...It is one of the few full-range speakers from the non-analytical school (particularly those under ten grand) that I would even mention in the same breath as MartinLogan or Quad." (p.75 of TAS)
Does anyone know what the other "few" might be????!!!
Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve
bigpowerballs
I'm in complete agreement with your acessments on warm sound, but not too warm, although I haven't heard that yet!
Anyway, I think Stehno is SPOT ON with those two choices, another you would want to definately consider would be Alons, wide open, un-boxy sound,(they like tubes). Alons, Vandy 5's, and Von Schweikerts, and (Avalon Ascents) are my all time favorites, you can't go wrong here, I'd mention the Dahlquists I own, but they're no longer made and harder to find.
I second the JM advise and I give you mine.
Give a try to Burmester 995. They use the Dr.Heil magnetodinamic tweeter for absolute transparency and Audax Drivers. EXTREMELY SMOOTH and MUSICAL, as you asked for.
Cheers
The VR-4 HSE speakers and the Vandy 5's are VERY different speakers. VERY DIFFERENT. I would not even put them in the same sentence as they are that different. And they each mate very differently with amplifiers. You can drive the Vandersteen 5's with 20wpc or so tubes. You need a lot more power for the VR-4 speakers. The Vanderstein's require an amp that has a flat bass response (not necesarily STRONG and POWERFUL bass). The VR-4 amps require strong bass (amps with balls).

The difference in sound of these speakers is IMHO pretty substantial (I cannot drill this in enough). The VR-4 speakers really focus the presence of instruments well, but I think they loose a bit of speed in this process. These speakers also have SERIOUS bass. In the wrong room, the bass can be overpowering. Also, I do not think VR-4's image that well per se (they may be good imagers, but not GREAT imagers). They also have a pretty narrow sweet spot, and off axis I think they sound way too bass heavy. Their tweeter dispersion seems very precise and focused on the sweet spot. I have heard these speakers in a reference room with a reference system, and I decided to pass on buying them.

The Vandy 5's are a whole different animal. For one they cost about two times as much as the VR-4s (if you go with the 5A speakers). They have a very open soundstage. Their soundstage seems about as open as box speakers get. Off axis in general I think the 5's sound outstanding. They also image remarkably well. They can throw a soundstage as wide and deep as any box speaker I have heard under $20k or so. These speakers seem to be a lot faster than the VR-4's. Additionally the 5's bass is tuneable. The bass amps that drive the woofers have a 10 band graphic equilizer that can be adjusted to suit your particular room. This is a HUGE benefit. The Vandy 5 speakers are my favorite box speaker that I can remotely afford.

Be sure to demo each before you buy because they are very different speakers.

KF
Hello again. Thus far the Cremona is the only Sanus Faber I have auditioned. My primary source will be my Musical Fidlity Nuvista 3D CD Player, although I intend to add a turntable system later. I have on order one of the two remaining Conrad Johnson Art2 (tube)) preamplifiers,and a CJ Premier 140 amp. ICs will probably be Synergistic Research X-series Sterling, and cables would be determined by the choice of speakers.
You're probably right about the source, Tok. The source I heard was Mark Levinson 360 cd player/processor- very analytical to my ears.
It would appear that some good suggestions were developed.

Timchen, it would seem (based on the "average retail price of your system" post-inquiry) that on Audiogon, it is SPENDERS that rule, not Spendors!
Thanks
Steve