Are some of us losing our minds over upgrades??

I happened to run across a thread from 2011 regarding upgrading CD players; in particular, a Sony XA5400ES which was in the A- column of Stereophile for a few years. Some member had this model Sony player upgraded by Modwright( not sure if related to the amp and pre-amp company). The upgrade cost $2000, and the AG member claimed it was NOW the best sounding player on the planet.

OK, let me cut to the chase, I have seen adds for used Sony XA5400ES on AG between $1000 to $1200. Original retail was $1499 Call me crazy or a cheapskate, but lets say for argument sake you bought this player for $1100, and had it upgraded by Modwright, you have invested $3100 plus shipping in a CD player that may not necessarily be superior to the Ayre CX7emp which was the player that was being compared to both the pre-upgraded Sony, and of course the post-upgraded Sony. Nevertheless, I don't understand the logic behind such a move. I would like to hear from members that may own an upgraded XA5400ES, or anyone else who wants to provide insight into the upgrade craze. Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim
I've heard mods done to a variety of DACs, amps and preamps. John Hillig and John Wright are masters at this and their mods are absolutely worth the very reasonable sums they charge. However, most of their mods are in the sub $1,000 range.

I think the challenge with multi-thousand dollar mods is judging the return on one's investment. If one is going to keep the gear, then it's strictly a subjective call; if you like the sound, it was worth it. If, however, you plan on re-selling the gear, I don't find the super expensive mods to be a "sound" investment because you rarely recoup the investment when re-selling.

To get a taste of what a moderate modification can do, replace your stock fuses with some Hifi Tuning or Synergistic fuses. Be careful, though. You might get bitten by the upgrade bug. ;-)
"There's just no one right way to enjoy recorded music"
Well said and so true.
I, personally, have never 'got' buying an inferior component and then spending big bucks for supposed upgrades when that same final dollar figure could get you something well designed and well implemented in the first place.
In general, upgrades, offer little bang for the buck. That 'bang' is sonic improvement in the sound. As for the 'return on investment' comments, I would say just plain silly. Audio is not a place where people buy things with a view to what they can get when they resell. Most buy because the equipment 'sounds' good. It is that simple.
06-30-13: Dragon1952
I, personally, have never 'got' buying an inferior component and then spending big bucks for supposed upgrades when that same final dollar figure could get you something well designed and well implemented in the first place.
Dragon1952 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

This is similar to why people like me enjoy modding their cars and motorcycles. Its a matter of personalization and enjoying the journey. As others have said, there is no right or wrong. After all this is a hobby and hobbies are meant to be enjoyed anyway that brings each person joy.