HELP Subwoofer connection, high level or low leve

What is the preferred way of connecting a subwoofer?
Using the speaker level input(preferred by REL) or using low level(RCA interconnects)? Why?
jcatral14
Rap....You may be correct, but it does not make sense to me.
In an Dolby or DTS HT situation basically the ".1" in the "5.1" is the bass. The sub is suppose to play this. Now if the sub is doing double duty by playing the ".1" channel and playing the bass of the main speaker at the same time, I would think it would confuse the sub and the result would not be clear detailed bass, but a bunch of mud.
i believe the sub "sniffs" one input first then switches to the other input if no signal was present in the first input. i just dont know which input the sub checks first, the speaker level input or the low level input.
Sugar... The sub is doing no more "double duty" than any driver is in any system. Think of a 2-way speaker where the mid range driver is playing from 40hz or so up to the point is crosses over to the tweater. The 40-50hz bass does not muddy up the 200hz mid-range provided we're talking about a properly designed speaker. If this were the case all speakers would sound like junk. Right?

here is a reply from REL tech support to a few of my questions:
--------------------------------

The variable roll off control applies to both high level and low level inputs, you would have to manually change it if necessary. The new Stentor III does accommodate this situation as it is possible with the "MODE SWITCH" to bypass the roll off for the low level input, the roll off for this input can then be set via the processor/amplifier providing it has this facility. The high level input is still controlled by the subs roll off control.
Both inputs on the Stentor are always active, this is a benefit when in hone cinema mode as the sub will underpin the main front speakers via the high level input and at the same time reproduce the .1 effects channel via the low level connection.
As you point out for two channel use there will not be any output from the .1 effects channel provided the amplifier/processor is set up correctly.
--------------------------------
from the horse's mouth...