Going SACD or analog?

I am at the crossroad in choosing new vs old technology. Selling my Sony redbook cdp and going with Sony 777, or investing into the hi-end turntable rig? Have few records, and several hundred of CD's. I listened SACD with Krell and Martin Logan speakers. It was great, but i liked all Linn analog set-up even more. I would have about 3k to spend, which wouldn't be much for an excellent analog set (including phono stage pre) as i am using Sony's volume control with my Plinius 100 mkII. What to do? what to do?
iloxi6cfb
One possibility, since you already have a Sony CD player and are used to its sound, is to get one of the more inexpensive Sony SACD players, as I'm sure you have plenty of CDs and these players offer decent sound, even on redbook CD, from all I've read, and use the rest for your analog front end. After all, you have a lot of music on CD you'll want to listen to, no need to give that up completely. KF is right, you'll want a preamp with a decent phono stage, or a standalone phono unit (many of which can be had used for a song) if you have a line stage, but even a modest analog front end (one of the MMF tables, for example) will outperform an inexpensive CD player and give you a lot of listening enjoyment. Don't feel you can't get good analog for less than $3K, or even $2500, I've heard analog rigs for under that price that sound terrific, even using revealing speakers such as the Innersounds.
There is no doubt in my mind that a TT rig will sound better at your price point. There is also a ton more records out there than SACDs. The downside to a TT is that its more of a pain in the ass, and a larger investment in time, money and attention than beginners anticipate. Envision setting it up, cleaning records, and being a little more anal.

I had a $3k TT rig that I sold because I am just too busy and college-like to deal with it. I really like my $3k CDP, but that TT beat the hell out of it.
Here is a twist. What artist that would come out on SACD would convince you to get a SACD player (even a cheap one)?

KF
I have a Sony SCD-777ES, and a Michell Gyrodec/SME 309/Micro Benz Glider/ARC PH3SE. I personally prefer the sound of my vinyl rig on most LPs to the sound of the SACD player on most SACDs. BUT...

I have a few hundred LPs from "the old days", and getting additional LPs is a chore. New vinyl is available, but expensive. Used LPs are around in larger cities, but in varying condition. Despite owning nice vinyl gear, I find I purchase very few LPs each year.

After purchasing the SACD player, I decided that I would only purchase SACDs, and no red book CDs. Right!! While the SACD offerings are growing, I keep finding the music I want to purchase on CDs, and not SACDs or LPs. It's not clear to me that SACD will "make it". Look at Betamax. It was a better video system than VHS, but it died. Ten years from now, my SACDs may be like 8 tracks, reel to reel, and cassettes.

I have many times more red book CDs than my SACDs and LPs combined. I find I listen to CDs 90% of the time because that's what I own.

If I were you, I would spend my money on improving my red book CD sound, whether that means a new CD player, a DAC, or even some other link in your system. You can go to any decent high end audio shop and hear stunning sound from red book CDs. I think it is too soon to spend money on SACD, and too late to get started with vinyl, all because of the software available at this time.

Gary
Bomarc makes a lot of sense. Duanegoosen mentions what vinylphiles gloss over: every time an lp is played it becomes noisier. Heck, they will say gleefully that they like this noise since it lives in another sonic plane! In pre-cd days, brand new vinyl was bad at least two out of three times. The worst culprits: American pressings, with CBS at the top of the list. I can just imagine what used vinyl is like. Went to a local shop that specializes in used vinyl last week (although they sell new vinyl, the choice is almost as limited as SACD), the records I looked at were scuffed and scratched. My vinyl collection was pampered. A visual inspection of any disc taken at random will show nothing awry at least 95% of the time. Put it on the turntable and half the time (approximately) the disc is noisy. I can just imagine how noisy the ones in that shop are, if you can see on a quick visual examination that the record is just so so. If you want a tt so you can buy recordings not otherwise available, go ahead. Don't expect it to replace your cd player though, despite all the bad press cd is getting these days. They are two different approaches. Some good can be said of either. Something that can't be said though is that abandoning cd will settle all your reproduced music issues.