Help: Searching for Vandersteen-like speakers...

I have been searching hi and lo for the right speakers until I found the Vandersteen 2Ce and I thought my search was done. Ok, so, after hearing a few amps, I think I am really in love with SET tube amps of one kind or another. The thing about SET amps that I have seen is they have very low wattage(one had 3 watts and another had 18 watts) and this leaves the Vandersteens out in the cold with an 86db sensitivity. I can see why Vandersteens go well with SS amps. Plus, besides the sensitivty, Vandersteen 2Ce also have a recommended amplification of 40 to 160 watts. This sort of leaves SET amps right out of the question.

My thing here is that I would like to find something like the Vandersteen 2Ce in the $1500 dollar range or else forget about an SET; however, if all else fails, I will go back to my original idea of mating the 2Ce with an ARC 100 watt amp.

Any ideas?
matchstikman
They may not be the answer, but they might be closer to what you are looking for: Meadowlark.
You might try the Vandersteen's with a Pass Aleph series amplifier. I use a 100 watt Pass Aleph 4 with my Vandersteen 3A Signatures. Maybe not exactly a tube sound, but you do get a very smooth, neutral sound with a clear, sweet, airy midrange, great soundstage and superb high frequency detail. The midrange is not fat and tubey, but it IS neutral and sweet. There is no harshness, hardness, solid state signature or grain to be heard. You also get an absolutely full-range frequency response which no tube amp and very few solid state amps can equal or surpass. Now the Alephs are not the last word in bass slam or dynamics as far as solid state amps go, but they will certainly go way beyond what a tube amp can do. With careful matching of cables and other components and with their great bass and treble extension, I don't see how you could ask for much more from an amp, tube or solid state. I use a CAT Ultimate preamp and Theta Gen Va DAC with the previously mentioned equipment and am very happy. I suggest you consider an Aleph 5 for your 2CE's. The Alephs all utilize a single-ended design and most only have two gain stages, thus somewhat emulating the minimalist design of the SET's without the hassle of tubes.
I use a CJ PV 10AL & DNA-1 with my 2ce's. I absloutely love the sound of the combo, the pre adds a nice "warm" sound & the DNA has plenty of "oomph". I really don't think this combo can be beat in the lower dollar ranges. I've tried a pair of Kestral HR's & while they are "similar" to the 2's they are not the same, close but definately no cigar. I'd stick with your current speakers & look into a tube pre with a nice ss amp, good luck.
Forget the toy 3 watt amp and get the ARC VT 100 and the 2Ce's, unless you have a LOT MORE money to spend on something like Silverline speakers with mid 90db sensitivity ratings. The VT is a perfect match for the 2's.
Disclaimer- I am selling my Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes....
With that stated, the benign load of 6 ohms and 90 db sensitivity
would work with your more powerful set and give you a very romantic sound... with a sense of dynamics that you are probably missing.... if I am not mistaken, the Vandys are biampable and are
recommended as such .... Meadowlark, Audio Physic, Horns of various types could be other speaker options, although sonus, meadowlark and audio physic will be more in tune with what you like about the Vandys.... I am currently using a 35 watt set (deHavilland) and have all the richness and dynamics I could ask for with single ended midrange magic...
Chuck