New Swifts vs. used Kestrel Hot Rods

I'm looking to upgrade from Paradigm Titans in my bedroom (which sound amazing for the money). Been thinking of a used pair of Kestrels, but now the Swift is out and seems interesting. Power is vintage Mac tube gear. Anybody A-B compared these two speakers?
jphilips
Respone #2: There was a thread in 8-26 about Meadowlark. Good feedback on the hot rods. Sound like it will be up to your ears, room and space. Swifts are front ported so you have more placement options. Good luck.
Both speakers are approx 36 inches tall and reasonable size for bedroom installation. But the comparison might be more interesting if you were to consider Gershman "Cameleons" instead of the Kestrels. The "Cameleon" are 48 inches high but only have a 10"X10" footprint. They are also about the same money "new" as the Kestrels, approx $1800. Though, the Swifts may be very hard to beat for the money especially in a small to medium size room. All in all, the Gershman may be a better speaker but for your needs are they worth the extra money. Good Luck!! SJ
Auditioned the Kestrals, bought the Swifts. Incredible range, dynamics and soundstage. Using with a Bryston B-60 integrated and Rotel RCD-961 CD player. Kimber Hero interconnects and 4TC speaker wire. Excellent bang for the buck!!! Highly recommended.
I would have to disagree...Go Kestrals...they have much more bass than the Swifts...and overall offer a fuller midrange presentation...the swifts to me sound hollow,thin,and lean...more like monitors with stands than a floorstander...the Hotrod is also $600 or so more new...so it should be better...I like Meadowlark...but the Swifts are way overated in my opinion...if you want even a cheaper option...used vandersteen 1cs for around $500...virtually identical phase correct sound...
I agree in part with Phasecorrect. I spent about 3 hours with the Swifts and Kestrel Hotrods with a variety of music, both excellent and not so good recordings. I do have to say both speakers are fairly forgiving (unlike the Thiel 1.5s, which were sufficiently revealing to render most of my collection unlistenable). The Swifts are excellent above 80hz - I was very taken in by the presentation of female vocals, acoustic instruments and wind instruments by the Swifts, which I found to be rich and involving, though male vocals and rock were excellent as well. However, despite the stated frequency extension down to 35hz, I found the Swifts to be completely empty in the mid-to-low bass (admittedly, the pair I listened to were about 4 feet from the rear wall but I found this placement necessary to bring out the soundstage and dynamics the Swifts have frequently been complemented on). The Kestrels, though not extending as far down as larger speakers, do offer a far more complete musical picture, at the expense of some detail and richness in the midrange. I cannot say whether this is an actual difference in the sonic signatures of the Kestrel v Swift, or simply a byproduct of the Kestrel's wider dynamic range, which conceivably could have shifted the acoustic focus towards the middle band. Perhaps the Swift's limited range contributed to Phasecorrect's impression of hollowness? I do find the Swifts an excellent speaker if they suit your music collection. I dropped them from my list, substituted the Kestrels, and the search continues.

Associated equipment:

Cary 303/200 CD (and Arcam CD72T, briefly)
Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated