Maggies & Logans: Why so many for sale?

Why is it so many people want to sell their Magnepans and Martin Logans? Is it just because there are so many out there, or is there something not acceptable after the initial awe wears off?
koestner
Also people who own Maggies and move to a smaller home have a tendency to sell if the room is too small, they know what it takes to make them sing.
I have owned 8 pairs or Martin logans and the descent sub also 2 pair of maggies .They are great speakers but since I have discovered Sensitive speakers and SET amps I can not listen to them any more They just dont touch my soul .Technically there a great performer.
- very sensitive to proper room placement
- very sensitive to room interaction
- need to be farther away from back & side walls
- requires a larger room
- dialing in toe-in
- revealing of upstream weaknesses
- current hungry
- low WAF
- require stalwart amplification to yield bass
- require higher SPLs to bloom

I had Maggies ,but could not use them in a smaller room. I found NEARs which gave me the same sort of sound ,but in a box.

Innersound I have been told are the speakers to go for and I am beginning to believe it.WIll have to go hear some when I get the chance.Price is a concern though.

Logans I found did not cross over well with the Bass Drivers ,but this was maybe 10yrs ago.I did like the transparancy though.

I am happy with what I have now and got them for a steal of a price.The NEAR samll 2-ways outperformed the Maggie 1.4's I had .I did do a side-by-side and it was no contest.

My final decision was based on a number of factors.One of the biggest was room size.The other was I wanted a speaker that went as close to full-range I could get that was as transparent as the Maggies.The NEARs did it for me.They have a small footprint and are not eye sores also.

They will reveal upstream electronics synergy.They are not really hard to get synergy between electronics as far as amps. Maggies have a special load to consider when mating with an amp!

The NEARs I have are heavily modded.Newer drivers.Outboard XO's to be updated and rewired with wire that I like. They are the only ones of their kind at the moment,

Happy Hunting
All I can say is I agree pretty much with the previous statements. I own both Maggies and ML.
I sold my Martin Logan Sequels last week after 17 years of enjoyment. I bought them for $2K in 1986 and sold them for $900. Pretty good value if you ask me.

The reason I sold them is because I finally wanted a bigger pair. The newer models are easier to drive and built better.

Other reasons people sell them may include the following:

"They are big."
"The wife doesn't like them."
"Music isn't important now that I've got kids."

Regards,

TomDac
Martin Logan Club Webmaster
http://www.martinloganowners.com