what speakers for 40 watt triode?

Hi, I've got Cary SLI-80 now, and love it in both triode and ultraliner mode, but I think I'll get best of both worlds if I get a more efficient speaker and just run it in triode. My Thiel 1.6's actually work quite well with the triode mode, but comparison with the UL mode reveals that there is a bit more spunk and size of soundstage to be had. I'm thinking nominal 8 ohm instead of 4, 90+ sensitivity. What do you think?

Have any of you lived with Cary SLI-80 in triode mode? Which speakers mated well?

Thanks,
Art
artmaltman
I'm curious whether a different speaker will ameloriate the relative deficiencies of triode, since my experience has always been that switching to triode mode on a push-pull pentode amp will lose you some of the exact qualities you mention - namely dynamics and soundfield size (and often a bit of tonal neutrality, frequency extension, and bass tautness as well) - in exchange for some added textural purity and freedom from glare/hardness. I'm not saying a different speaker won't work any better in this mode than the little Thiels (although I'm not sure that they will, all things considered - it's a fine speaker), just that the same sort of relative differences between the modes may still apply even with different speakers.
Thanks for your ideas. I will have to experiment with some more efficient speakers and find out. I've been thinking Ref 3a, Coincident, or Silverline. I had not thought of Alon or Roman in this category. (Are B&W so efficient too?) I plan to pay special attention to efficient speakers at the HE show in June.

Keep those ideas coming though....

Thanks,
Art
Whether B&W is suitable depends on the size of your room, the listening distance, & the level of volume.
Seriously consider the Von Schweikert DB-100's. They are 100db efficient with an added solid state driven woofer. I push them with a Rogue Magnum Tempest at 42 watts in triode and the match is terrific. More than enough power.