SUBWOOFER FOR MUSIC

I have Paradigm Studio 100 and I want to use a subwoofer with them..I use my system only for music..so would you suggest using a subwoofer for only music with my Paradigms??I need help....
aram
My mains are Snell E.5s.

If the dealer will let you home demo the MJ, I would try it. All the reviews I read said the unit has very impressive output for its size/amp rating.

Chris
Hey Aram,
using a subwoofer is okay, but there are great differences between them. The most subwoofers are for home-cinema or for deep bass. High-end subwoofer are making not so deep frequences, they are constructed for subsonic bass. That's a sort of bass you cannot hear, but the space and the contour of the instruments and voices is much better then before. There's a link for you: www.audiophysic.de
Their you can see a high-end subwoofer, it cost about 2000 Euro, but it's the best of the best (i read it in high-end magazine).
Greetings
Sascha
Hi Chris
I think you are right..I have to demo the MJ subwoofer..I will visit the shop again..Your mains are not so good..I now understand why you want to have a subwoofer..If you ask my opinon you should change your speakers..I don't know how much you payed for the Snells but if you can buy Paradigm Studio 100 they will really give out ample bass..
Sascha I know Audio Physic..they are famous but for me they are a bit expensive....
Aram, a few things: 1) If you can't get to the bi-wiring right away, you should use a jumper cable instead of the connectors that come with the 100's, 2) I auditioned the Paradigm subs and wasn't too impressed since the bass seemed flabby to me -- though great for HT, and 3) You may not need much more oomph so a smaller sub-woofer, say 8 -12", might be just enough to do the trick so long as it gets down to 20Hz -- anything real big might be hard to match since you already have good bass. I own the 100's and found all that to be true, at least to my ears. Good luck. Remember that for frequencies below about 200 Hz, standing waves (which are largely dependent on room dimensions and either reinforce or reduce sound levels at various frequencies) make a huge difference so please be sure you can audition at home.
Aram,

Actually, I think the E.5s have very good bass. Accurate, fast and fairly deep. There are a lot of false perceptions on bass. Many coming from some units that lack in low frequency response and are peaked up in the higher bass regions to give the impression that they go low. My only reason for getting a sub is to cover the range below 35 Hz, and mainly for HT.

Chris