Cheap Thrills Dynaco A25 vs Sound Dynamics300ti?

Ok, don't laugh. I have been listening to my A25s and enjoy them, and have come across a pair of Sound Dynamics 300ti, which Harry Pearson expounded on. Any thoughts about the differences, which ones might be better? I just can't believe that speaker technology hasn't vastly improved in 30+ years. I am using tube gear with them, either a Fisher 400 or Lectron. Thanks.
jckstrw00b8f
I bought my parents, sister and daughter A25s matched with Sherwood 7100A receivers. They now enjoy audiophile quality sound. I have four sound systems at home, with Focus and Signature IIIs as my best speakers and A35s in the others. Dynaco speakers are always pleasant. I just sold a pair of Snell Type K for $180 on ebay (mint condition) which are also nice, but inferior to the A25s. I had the AR3, large Advents, etc. in the early 70s. I missed out on better sound by not knowing about the A25s when I was a teenager then. Luckily, there were 700,000 A25s made with replacement parts available. Go for it for a second system or medium size room at GREAT savings.
Absolutely correct. I tried a Sherwood 7310 receiver with my Dynaco A-25's and then bought a used Marantz 2220B on Ebay for $41.00( I had to clean all the pots and switches) and the sound was so much better.I gave the Sherwood to a friend and now have the A-25's and Marantz in my bedroom system.I recently replaced the tweeters with a Morel MDT20 and they are much more spacious.I've heard that the Dynaco speakers sound excellent with tube gear, but the older Marantz 2200 series receivers are very tube-like.
Forget any model of Sherwood other than the 7100 or 7100A. I've tried the bigger units with only the 7200A coming close. The 7300A is big and brash. The quad units and later units sound like... well a cheap solid state receiver. The 7310 is awful sounding. I like the advice of replacing the tweeters with a more open sounding tweeter. It has to match the impedance, sensitivity, cross-over characteristics, etc. for it to work. Do you know it the Morel MDT20 matches the necessary criteria. Thanks
I bought the Morel tweeters from Madisound.The folks at Layne Audio provided an upgraded crossover to balance the system. The stock A-25 (scanspeak) tweeter is great in it's own right. The Morel has better extension and openness. Thanks for the advice on the different Sherwoods.I have never tried the 7100 series, but you're right about the 7310. It was very constricted and unnatural. My Marantz 2220B is much more relaxed and tube-like.I would have probably kept the standard Dynaco tweeters but the seller sold me the pair with a tweeter blown and the guys at Madisound told me that they have had some A-25 customers having good results with the Morel MDT-20 as a replacement. They are $50.00/pr.I just modified a pair of AR-2ax speakers with a kit from Layne Audio which replaces all drivers and crossover parts. It required some cabinet mods to accommodate the new midrange drivers( a real pain) but it was worth it.An amazing transformation. They are much better than the Dynacos, so they are now the new bedroom speakers and the Dynacos are going into my son's bedroom. Total kit was about $175.00. I paid $100.00 on an Ebay auction for the stock AR-2ax so a total investment of $275.00 has provided a speaker that is extremely musical.Much better than the stock AR-3A's which is what I was first considering.For those who own the AR-3A speakers, Layne Audio has an upgrade kit for it as well.Website is www.layneaudio.com,but they don't answer their e-mails. You'll have to call them direct and hope you get through. You'll probably talk to Steve who is a great guy.
Well, Fleshler. I couldn't resist trying one out. I just won a Sherwood 7100A on an Ebay auction for $20.50. I'm going to compare it to the Marantz 2220B through the A-25's. I'll keep you posted on the shootout.