Cheap Thrills Dynaco A25 vs Sound Dynamics300ti?

Ok, don't laugh. I have been listening to my A25s and enjoy them, and have come across a pair of Sound Dynamics 300ti, which Harry Pearson expounded on. Any thoughts about the differences, which ones might be better? I just can't believe that speaker technology hasn't vastly improved in 30+ years. I am using tube gear with them, either a Fisher 400 or Lectron. Thanks.
jckstrw00b8f

Showing 2 responses by fleschler

I bought my parents, sister and daughter A25s matched with Sherwood 7100A receivers. They now enjoy audiophile quality sound. I have four sound systems at home, with Focus and Signature IIIs as my best speakers and A35s in the others. Dynaco speakers are always pleasant. I just sold a pair of Snell Type K for $180 on ebay (mint condition) which are also nice, but inferior to the A25s. I had the AR3, large Advents, etc. in the early 70s. I missed out on better sound by not knowing about the A25s when I was a teenager then. Luckily, there were 700,000 A25s made with replacement parts available. Go for it for a second system or medium size room at GREAT savings.
Forget any model of Sherwood other than the 7100 or 7100A. I've tried the bigger units with only the 7200A coming close. The 7300A is big and brash. The quad units and later units sound like... well a cheap solid state receiver. The 7310 is awful sounding. I like the advice of replacing the tweeters with a more open sounding tweeter. It has to match the impedance, sensitivity, cross-over characteristics, etc. for it to work. Do you know it the Morel MDT20 matches the necessary criteria. Thanks