Pulling the trigger on pricey equipment

I have the opportunity to purchase a somewhat expensive pair of speakers from a private seller on Audiogon. His feedback is around 30 and mine is around 160. I have never purchased anything this expensive online privately. The speakers will have to be palletized and shipped freight insured. My angst is in I'm sending a lot of money upfront with the hope of receiving the speakers. Are there any suggestions regarding payment (maybe 1/2 upfront and 1/2 upon delivery) or best way to safeguard my money and alleviate some of the emotional stress in this transaction. Is Paypal my best option?
jig
"What about using Facetime. That way you get the meet the seller... and actually see the equipment you're buying. "

That's a really good suggestion!

Facetime sound quality: not hifi though.... :^)
The hardest high $$ sale I ever did was with a Vietnamese fellow who was acting as an agent for a richer guy in Vietnam for a CAT JL2 amplifier ($5k). He had no feedback, and he claimed no account because of Agon international issues. I have excellent feedback and lots of it. I told them that the only way I'd do the deal was through wire transfer and even then, after it fully cleared. They didn't like it but ultimately complied. I know that is the opposite situation, but it is an example of where poor communication (he had poor English) didn't support trust at all.