Best 1,000 complete system for girlfriend ideas

She wants to buy new at Best buy while I am trying to talk her into high end used? She lives in an apartment. She listens to jazz, sting, Sade?, etc. Any Suggestions?
My suggestion
DVD//CD $175 Best buy special
Speakers $300 Kef cresta 2
Amp. NAD $300
Preamp NAD $200
cable EXOS $25
$1,000

Sub later
lance328
how about the NAD all in one CD tuner amp, with a pair of paradigm atoms?
the crestas are good too.
she'll thank you, you da man!
tom
www.qaudio.com has good used and reconditioned stuff at good prices (cambridge, ma but also sell over the net)
sounds like a fair budget system, but why are you trying to talk her into anything.
please, i'm not trying to be inflammatory, but my experience is women hate being talked into anything. also, some people really,truly do not give a moments thought to what their music is coming out of, is this the case with your girlfriend? if yes, this is why best buy's and circuit city's exist.
personally i do not care for driving and as long as my car gets me from a to b, i don't think about it beyond that. now my stereo is a different story, i seriously think about that. it is pleasing to know that my listening experience is full of better resolution, tighter firmer bass, sweet mids, a soundstage with depth, etc. if your girlfriend is looking for similar things then take her to a high end shop and let her listen to some systems. if she is an audiophile but just doesn't know it, this experience should bring her out of the closet. who knows, maybe she'll decide that your suggested system does not suit her tastes/needs, which are now in the $2-3k realm. nice thought huh?

please do not take this the wrong way, a new audiophile convert is always nice. for it to be your girlfriend, now that's something money can't buy, too cool, too cool.

respectfully
You can go to AudioAdvisor.com and go to the as new/demo clearance page. A DVD player might be a good idea. You could connect her TV to the system.

CD Players: Cambridge Audio D300SE $250
Or the Cambridge D500SE $349.
Amplifier: Cambridge Audio A300V2 $219
Interconnects: Analysis Plus Oval One $69.95
Speaker Cables Audioquest CV-4 $119.95
At a local dealer, get her a pair of B&W DM303 $300.

Alternately go to http://www.spearitsound.com/
They have new factory refurbished NAD audio receivers (not HT). The C730 is $329. Then she'll have a AM/FM tuner also. Spearit Sound is also a Cambridge Audio and B&W Speaker dealer, so you could get the rest there also. The Cambridge Amp is only $250 new, the D300SE $289. Ask for Richard Moulding or Jack Tozzi. Check their specials/demo/used page also.

Cambridge Audio has a DVD player now also.
Or do a combination of AudioAdvisor and SpearitSound.

Remember: You're not buying for an audiophile here! Keep away from separates. The NAD all-in-one is a good choice, even has a tuner, which she might like. If I recall, you can get it with the Alpha Minis, or buy the speakers separately. If you don't like that idea, get the electronics from Best Buy, but coax her into a real audio store for the speakers: Paradigm, B&W, PSB all offer multiple options in the $400-600 range. And terminate the speaker cables with something that's easy to deal with (spades are better than bare wire, for example).
This can be a VERY touchy situation. I would proceed with caution. My suggestion is to buy new / demo / refurb with a warranty and keep it simple. Most non-audiophile women are more concerned with looks and convenience so long as it sounds "reasonable" and it doesn't take up the entire room.

With that in mind, even "mass-fi" can sound pretty reasonable if you take the time to set it up as best possible. Work with her as it is her system and money. Adding "special touches" to HER decision will allow her to exercise her independance while allowing you to "tweak" the system. If you do this carefully and reasonably, you should be able to get it to the point that she will notice the difference and appreciate what CAN be done in the future. Sean
>