my Talon Khorus sounds bad

my Talon Khorus sounds bad...
i've recently purchased a preowned talon khorus loudspeakers (about a year old) ,
at high listening level rock music sounds compressed,
distorted...not what u'd expect from a 14000 dollars
(retail) .
WHAT CAN B WRONG HERE?
those speakers are hooked with a nordost blue haven wire
to a krell 300i integraged amp and a rega planet 2000 cd
player.
thanks and regards
dave4u
I've heard many different Krell amps and was always impressed by the power and clarity but, these were 300 w/c or greater units. I do however own a pair of Khorus's. Mine were demo's and about a year old when I got them. There's no way mine are broken in but right out of the box they blew me away once I had them positioned correctly. These speakers are a blessing and a curse. They seem to be incredibly accurate and smooth though any weak components are going to be brought to light almost immediately. Something else to keep in mind is that mystery of why matching even expensive high end components for best effect is one of trial and error. I'd take the Talon reps advice and give him a call and the writer that suggested you try some better cd's and different kinds of music for comparison. I've noticed that some of my old rock cd's don't come close to my newer music in quality. After that I'd borrow a different amp, cd player, cables and experiment a little bit.

With my 350 w/c Mac amp and crappy little 15 year old Magnavox (soon to be a Cary 306) cd player the music is incredible so I doubt the trouble lies with your Rega. On the other hand I'm running Acoustic Zen cables to my Khorus's. I guess I'm trying to say that with the gear I've got right now I'd sooner shoot my dog than dump my speakers and, I love my dog. Don't give up just yet but, if you do list them on Audiogone then drop me a line as everyone who has heard mine would love to get a great deal on yours!
I would look into a better amplifier and better speaker cables. One thing about great speakers is that they do demand high quality components. You can really hear the grain in a mid-grade component.

I've heard the krell integrated, and it is a little grainy. I've hooked my crummy old denon receiver up to my audio physic avant's & you can REALLY heard the mid-fi electronics. It sounds far worse with high resolution speakers.

One of my friends has Talon Khoruses. He uses a Krell 600, Krell kps 25 (?) & quattro-fil w/spm speaker cables. I haven't heard his system yet, but he's been around the hobby a while & knows his stuff.

As mentioned above, you might also be hearing the low quality of some rock recordings. I pulled out some of my old rock recording a while back (late 80's cd's) & I couldn't believe how bad they sounded on my system.

Good luck, and KUDOS to Talon for their quick response.
And new rock recordings sound better?

If your favorite music doesn't sound good on your system, change your system.
I beleive your problem lies with your lack of reserve power.

I have found out that my B&w n802s require a great deal of power to open up. It is entirely possible that your amp may be clipping.

Damon