foiled again...

after thinking I had settled on a speaker, the Soliloquy 5.3...it just occured to me that I had been listening to them in a room where they were about 5 feet from the wall.

I've read multiple comments about these speakers needing room to breathe because of the rear ports. I don't really like stand mounted monitors. I think it's too hard to get the sub to integrate right most of the time.

Can anyone recommend another floorstander for under $2000 that is as good as the Soliloquy 5.3? I'm sure I'll get many responses here. I've also been considering the Silverline Sonatina II. I found a great price on some demos.

Anyone know if Vienna acoustics have this positioning problem?
gunbunny
Have your Soliloquy dealer move the 5.3s closer to the wall or even better take them home for a demo. They may sound a little better out in the middle of the room, but they may be fine in a more practical, closer to the wall, position. Unless your are going to wedge them into a corner, they should be fine closer to the back wall. I have my pair of 6.3s 12"-18" away from back wall with no problem.
I can audition them in my home. Problem is, is I have to move quite a bit due to my job and I don't know if always would be able to get them away from the wall. I could position them so that the back of the speaker was 18-22" from the wall and it would look fine. My TV comes out about 2 feet from the wall. I love the 5.3 would really like to not have to worry about this.
The 5.3s are excellent and do require some space behind them to let the ports breath. For that purpose, 2 feet should do but more is better for the imaging in the rest of the audible range.

I also love the TacT but it cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and tranform a mediocre speaker. I've tried.
You can plug the rear ports of the 5.3s with some foam or tube socks if need be--it can solve the problem(if there is one in your room) and it doesn't change the character of the speaker(I have done this with my 5.3s to great effect). In many rooms the 5.3 does fine 2ft. from the back wall without plugging the ports, but you always have the option. If you like them I wouldn't give up on them because of this--you should at least try them at home as it may not be an issue at all. Best of luck.

Tim
Gunbunny,
You may have lost sight of the forest for the trees. You mention your TV sitting out about 2 feet - if that is a hulking RPTV monolith, that sitting in between the speakers is doing a lot more damage to your soundstage than whether you can get the speakers an extra foot out from the wall. Almost any speaker sounds better (depth of soundstage particularly) a considerable distance out from the wall (on the order of a third of the way into the room). I don't think there really is any significant boundary effect for the port at 2 feet away from the wall. Some towers with side firing woofers (like the NHT 2.9 and 3.3) are designed to be close to the wall. This is for bass response - they still create a better stage moved out. You say you can audition in home - move them in a variety of positions and see if any are unacceptable to you. Can you also take a pair of different design home for comparison?