Best speakers for 2000-USED

I'd like some suggestions on speakers. Are there any high quality speakers out there that really excell at producing a very big and very 3 dimensional atmosphere for around $2000 -USED. Good tight bass (hearing detail in an acoustic bass in jazz), timbre and smooth detail are also very important. I listen at moderate levels although I sometimes like to really fill up the room with music as long as it remains smooth and clear and not start to get edgy or harsh. My tastes in music range from rock to jazz to pop to symphonies to blues, with more of a emphasis on guitar pieces; artists like R.E.M., James Taylor, The Beatles, Acoustic Alchemy, B.B. King, Pat Matheny, Mannheim Steamroller, Lynard Skynard, Dave Crusin, Dianna Krall,Micheal Hedges, Mark Knopfler- Dire Straits, Heart, ZZ Top. I'm trying to get that sence of presence and 3 dimensionality I get with good headphones.
Amplification:
Citation 7.1 amp (4 x 150)-will bi-amp or bridge to
2 x 450-Which is best?
Adcom GTP-750 Pre-amp-another Citation 7.1 in the sys.
for movies
CD player:
Luxman DZ-111 (old 16-bit dual DAC unit
Cambrige Audio D500-SE
P.S. I don't drive and there's no audio places within 20-plus miles so I don't get much of a chance to audition. Also; I haven't been in the market for audio equipment for the last 12 years so I'm not up on what's out there that's new and exciting and what's mid to high quality nowadays
say811
It would appear that I can't have my cake and eat it too, such a shame. There's nothing quite like the intro to Dire Staits "Money For Nothing" on an old pair of Cerwin Vega's with 15" woofers. The drum rolls are so real and involving, the excitment generated is tangible. Conversely, I can remember hearing Mason Williams on a big pair of Megnapan's long ago and getting the feeling that Mason was right there in the room with me. Being at such opposite ends of the spectrum, any attempt to find a middle ground is still going to be a serious compromise. So I guess I'll have to go with Mason on this one and forgo that thump in the chest with each snap of the drum,.......Pity
Can I still get at least a little poke now and then?
Thiel 3.6's are my favs. They do alot of things exceptionally well, image really well, nice bass, crystal clarity. They are extremely uncolored and put out what you put in. They will rock and acoustic guitar is very immediate and real. Snare drums snap with great decay. IMO they are unbeatable for 2K used or even 4K new for everything they do right. Good luck in your decision...
Say811, that is not true. Although we speak of compromise the distance is not that great. Music played on Cerwin Vega's may have visceral impact but the quality will make your ears bleed. There are some speakers that are made for what you want. Legacy makes some speakers that seem to be created just for rock ( Although some say that you will have to make some reasonable modifications to make them sound good ). Speaker sound quality has moved so much higher than the cheap sound of a set of Cerwin Vega's with 15's. You need to get out there and hear some of this stuff mentioned. Now it may be that your preference for music and the tune of your minds memory of how you like to hear music may prefer the Cerwin Vega sound. That would be great. Then you get off cheap and the search is over. I used to feel that way about the standard Infinity line. But I think that you are in line for a real eye opener. Let us know Dale
Good luck finding Maggie 3.6s for $2000. Anything under
$3000 would be a good bargain.
How about NEW for under $2000-! I had a pair of the Magnapan 1.6's and they will give a HUGE 3-D soundstage with an almost live sound! Great snap and punch! There are of course 2 provisions to getting this great sound 1) you need PLENTY of power, which you have. I would bridge the amp, and bi-wire. Just make sure that in the bridged mode that the amp is happy with a 4 ohm load. The Maggies are almost a flat resistive load so this presents less of a problem the some other 4 ohm speakers which can dip to 2 ohms OR LOWER! 2) the 1.6's are what I would call "analytical speakers"...revealing and extremely detailed. They also are great to "crank" with some of the music that you listed...however, they do not give the mid-range sweetness that I have heard with other speakers.