Red Rose R3s vs. Proac 1sc vs. Dynaudio 1.3SE

I'm considering new speakers for my home office. I'd like small speakers with a big sound and don't want to include a sub. Current system: Linn Ikemi, Plinius 8150. I have yet to audition any of the three monitors listed but all seem to claim great sound with solid bass. Recommendations please. Joel
joeldoss
I have listened to the Red Rose R3's a number of times and I was not that thrilled the first time ( I was in the market for this kind of speaker. Yes I did buy one of the speakers in question ). The second time that I heard them there were connected to the Red Rose integrated amp and they sounded fabulous. So I thought that maybe that the setup was bad on the first trial. But I went to hear them again with Sim Audio hardware and they were strident and all shrill and the two drivers were not matching well at all. Now, maybe it is different strokes for different folks 'cause I am obviously in the minority here. Recently I found out that a local audio store is no longer carrying them due to the same type of reasons as I have heard. I purchased the Dynaudio 1.3 Se's and I feel like a most favored man because I have found a speaker that sounds completely right to me. Go figure why don't ya!
Try the PMC LB1s. I've heard all the speakers you have mentioned and they were the best by a wide margin. I heard the R3s at a show and they were played so softly it was not showing them off properly. Anyways, if it were my money i would not hesitate to go for the PMC LB1s. Look on bryston's website for more info. Thanks
Agree with you Mcne. I recently heard the Red Rose R3's and they were thin, shrill and obviously cut of several different cloths. Very un-impressive indeed. Could have been the set-up--but?
This probably tells you that a home audition is a must when buying a speaker. Sometimes a manufacturer gets it all wrong but can't go back to the drawing board because of cost. I wander if this is happening a lot in the high-end these days.
I would highly recommend the Shamrock Audio Eires..extremely balanced throughout their operating range (38-Hz-20kHz).. they use two excellent ScanSpeak drivers..beautiful construction, including solid wood front baffles and high quality veneers...they have been favorably compared to the Sonus Faber Electa Amators... you get a 30-day money back guarantee if not fully satisfied.. I have successfully used them with various amplifiers both tube and solid-state ... there are audition sites around the US..you can contact Shamrock Audio to see if there is one near you