To Soundlab or not to Soundlab?

OK, I'm a long time planar / stat lover and have been running dynamics for the past two years and long to get back into 'stats.

I'm looking at the Soundlabs and wonder what experiences people have had with these things and what amp / cable combos have worked well with them. My preference is for near field / focused rather than distant / diffused, and a transparent sound with an emphasis on voal palpability with freedom from grain and a sense of full harmonic development. I listen at low to moderate volumes and listen primarily to femal vocal, small ensemble, acoustic and small scale electronic with the occaisional classical work thrown in for good measure.

My room is 18' by 13.5'with the system set up on the short wall with a live end / dead end treatment using a custom echobuster package. Front end is CD using a CEC TL2 with G&D Transforms mods and the Thor DAC with tube output stage. I use ultimate attenuators rather than a preamp.

Any thoughts on which models / options I should start tracking down to evaluate? And how about amp and cable suggestions?

Thanks!

joe
sanderman
Bryceeboy, you've piqued my curiosity. Would you please expound on that statement?
Sanderman -

Thanks for your kind words.

The only differences between the A-1 and M-1 are cosmetic, and the M-1 is less expensive and easier to ship (the backplate assembly detaches from the frame).

The M-2 is closer to the M-1 than to the M-3 sonically. The M-1 size has a bit more bass and a bit more lush presentation; I can detect no difference in dynamics. In my room (13 feet by 30 feet) I prefer the M-1's richness to the slightly wider soundstage of the M-2, but I could easily live with either.

The cables you have are very good for electrostats - the Nordost and Goertz are both very coherent cables. The Magnan sort of takes the Goertz philosophy a step or two further - the conductor is even wider and thinner, and the runs can be physically separated. I recently let a Sound Lab owner compare a set of Magnans to his AG3's, and he ended up buying the Magnans. Same thing with an SPM owner. Every Sound Lab owner I know of who has tried the Magnans has bought a pair. I personally tried SPM and MI-2 and MI-3 before I found Magnan, but I never tried the AG-3. By the way, the local Goertz dealer says that AG-2 is better than AG-3. Another cable that I hear very good things about is the Purist Audio line, in particular the Dominus, but I haven't tried it in my system (sounded great in Wolcott/Sound Lab/Purist Audio room at CES, though). I'm a try-before-you-buy believer when it comes to speaker cabling, so if you ever wanted to try the Magnans I'd ship you a demo pair to audition.

As far as the toroid goes, it is my understanding that it significantly reduces the amount of compression normally experienced in going through a transformer. The result is more openness, especially in the midrange. I have never heard a pair of the big Sound Labs sans toroid, as everyone I've spoken to says don't even think about not getting the toroid. I suppose if the only way you could afford the size you really wanted was to delay the getting toroid option then the standard transformer would make sense, but otherwise get the toroid if at all possible.

The toroid does present a lower impedance in the midrange and so makes the speaker a more difficult load. But given your reasonable sound pressure level requirements, finding a very good amplifier will be relatively easy for you.

I'm not sure I'm communicating well on the sonic differences between the M-1 and M-2; if not, drop me a line and we'll talk.
I owned a pair of the A-1s a number of years ago. Even had the B-1 bass panels for a period. They B-1s never worked right and when they were finally returned to the factory, it was discovered that one of the bass panels was wired out of phase. Even such luminaries as Jeff Rowland had been in my home and hadn't suspected that was the problem.

I now have Vandersteen 5s which I love and have no intention of replacing. But if I did, SoundLab is about the only replacement speaker I would consider. If you follow the excellent advice you are receiving in this thread you will be thrilled with any SoundLab product you buy.