Magnepan vs Martin Logan

Which ones are better in general terms and why? Thanks in advance for your comments. Joel
joel_chowfdf3
Both Maggies and Martins are fine speakers.

One of the lesser-known, perhaps more esoteric, kids on the block is Sound Lab. While best known for their world-class full-range electrostatics, Sound Lab makes a hybrid called the "Dynastat" for a bit under four grand. While conceptually similar to the Martins, there are a few differences - for one thing, the Dynastat's electrostatic element radiates over a 75 degree arc instead of a 30 degree arc and so gives you a wider sweet spot and a better energized reverberant field, at the expense of greater sidewall interaction. The Dynastats go pretty deep (27 Hz) as well, and the woofer-to-panel integration is in my opinion very good (because the panel's radiation pattern is more similar to the woofer's). The Dynastat also has an abundance of controls, useful for optimizing for different rooms, listening distances, systems, and preferences.

If by any chance you are in the price range of the Maggie 20.1's or Martin Prodigy's, then you might want to consider one of Sound Lab's full range electrostats.

You can check them all out at www.soundlab-speakers.com, or drop me a line with any questions you may have.

The InnerSound speakers mentioned by Angela100 are very dynamic and have superb imaging, but a very narrow sweet spot. I prefer the wider radiation pattern of the Dynastats, but it's very much a matter of personal taste. The InnerSounds are also equipped with a variety of useful controls.

All four of these lines - Maggies, Martins, InnerSounds, and Sound Labs - are in my opinon significantly more musical than virtually all box speakers in the same price range. They have different virtues and so appeal to different listeners, but if you love the boxless sound of planars, then from among their ranks you can probably find the speaker that's right for you.
In 1985, I auditioned four speakers:Acoustat2+2s,Maggie IIIas, ML Monoliths, and Apogee Scintillas. The MLs came
in dead last. The final two were Acoustats and Maggies
mainly due to pricing and their timbre/tonality/transparency
for piano and cello. I chose the Acoustats, the golden ear
of the family chose the Maggies. In 2001, I have looked
at three speaker systems: Maggie 3.6s, ML Prodigies, and
Avalon Eidolons. ML Prodigies were dead last with the
Maggies slightly less tonally correct/holographic soundstage than the Avalons Eidolons, but at 5 times the price. I have not auditioned the Sound Labs pure electrostats(being a pure electrostat means that they surely will be perfect). All
dipoles need gobs of clean power, I prefer my Spectral
DMA 200 or my pair of DMA 50s, to practically all others
including my ARC equipment. However, I have not heard
OTLs or Wolcotts. All 2001 auditions were with Spectral
gear. Tubes add warmth and the big debate is whether
warmth is natural or artificial enrichment of the music
being produced. If you have ever heard a live string quartet, and the cello is on, and the cellist is trying to chop wood, boy can it get steely and hard. Why add some
warmth to what is naturally harsh sounding to your audio
system.
I also have a pair of Innersound EROS speakers...auditioned Soundlab, and ML's and found EROS to be the best sounding hybrid out there. Paired with Sunfire True Sig Sub for HT only...EROS really need no sub in 2 channel mode...base is terrific.
hello I prefer the Martin logans. The maggies are very forgiving but the logans tell you like it is. Both good products. I own a new pair of Martin Logan ascents and they finally got the bass to intergrate with the panel. Its the first time I have ever heard bass like that out of a logan. I had aerius is good but no bass I had sl3s great but the bass sounded so sloppy the intergration was aweful. And now I have the ascents and I cant say enough abou them. Great. I use all levinson equipment and harmonic tech. cables. good luck I hope this helps
Nicely said audiokinesis. Lev I too enjoy the martins. Apparently you have one of the amps/pre's I've never had the chance to audition with my aerius i's. But I've tried many others to name a few okay ones were bryston & rotel. To name the ones I did not like with martins were meridan, krell kav(I've heard the fpb was good with martins), signature grand, audiomat, plinius, AR, classe, b&K(okay for the price). I know these are probably very good amps/pre's but they don't work that good with MY martins. The bat 3i/vk200 is incredible with martins and they are picky with cables. The nordost blue heaven bal interconnects work great, but the nordost speaker cable sucks with the martins(don't know why). Transparent is good and I did like the analyse plus, but my amp(vk200) was just breaking in, so I did not get a fair audition with the analyse spk wires. I did like to try the moon and lev stuff one day. But for now I am completely happy with bat. Good luck to allllllllllllll. Pete