Non Audiophiles are funny people

ive had several non audiophile types in my home in the past year (painter,plumber,postal person, UPS,Fedex driver, neighbors) for some reason or another. I have 3 turntables
1. Michell GyroDec Linn AKito/Lyra Clavis
2. Sota Star SME 5/Cardas Heart
3. Well tempered Classic / Sumiko SHO

each one of these people ask or say "you must be a DJ" or "are you a DJ?". Imagine scrathing and backspinning on the wheels of steel, a belt driven loaded way down at 1.8 grams complete with vaccum hold down! Dont forget that record clamp! I can only imagine what that UPS driver would do if he was here alone with some Run DMC wax.
128x128justlisten
I used to be a club dj in Denver. Actually, the motor is not run in reverse. A slip mat is placed on top of the platter, with vinyl on top. This allows you to manipulate the lp backwards or forwards while the platter is still spinning at full speed. The Technics SL-1200 is still the industry standard. They can last for years with proper care. It's the stylis that takes the brunt of abuse.
Hey, if it looks like a turntable, works like a turntable, and sounds like a turntable, it must be a turntable, right? One thing you can safely assume is that these folks are neither DJs nor audiophiles, and luckily in this country it is not yet a crime to parade your ignorance -- in fact, in some locales I believe it is mandatory. :)
I've had a few friends and family who think I'm nuts for spending so much $ on a stereo system, when they can't tell the difference between their ($500-$1,000) system and mine ($35,000-$40,000). But I always chuckle when they hear a cd on mine that they like and go out an buy it, and then tell me that they don't know why they didn't like the same cd on their system, but at my house they do.
Ohhhh, I see. Well, that slip mat is a good idea. I would've just been trying to pull the platter back when the motor wanted to go the other direction (at least for awhile).