How to Solve Duplicate File Problem on iTunes

I find that I have three or four copies show up in my itunes folder for just about every album I have. Itransferred all my CDs to itunes (Apple Lossless format) a couple of years ago. The only exceptions are recent files I added (new CDs). Is there a way to remove these duplicate references? I'm not sure why they're showing up. I have had one or two harddrive fails, and I created a backup directory for music at one point, which have have had something to do with it - but it should be a backup, not a duplicate.

Any help would be apprecaited in knowing how to remove these dupes, and on keeping proper backup going forwrd.

Am using a PC, iTunes, all Apple Lossless files. Am also open to changing to another interface as long as it's convenient. I do like the itunes remote access via iphone though..
128x128outlier
Interesting, Albert. I'm moving toward the Mac Mini . . . would like a "heads up" on problems.
Thanks,
--Neil

first step: do you have duplicates of the files on your drive(s) or just duplicate listing of the same file in your library? Is it possible you have several versions of the same song, say an Apple lossless and an MP3?

Do a "get info" on several of the duplicates. If they are the same song but stored in different files then you need to get rid of those duplicates. That will also show the rep rate.

If you just ended up with duplicate listing of the same file (I think that would be unusual) then I would suggest starting over. Delete the iTunes library and reload the files. If you end up with duplicates at that point you surely have duplicate copies of the same files on your drive(s). Go to the artist folder on your drive for the duplicates and see if you have the same song several times, like you ripped them more than once or have them at different rep rates.

Neil,

What I'm attempting to do is synchronize WAV, FLAC and Apple Lossless music files into iTunes.

iTunes does not support FLAC so I have four programs that can accommodate all the music files but each work differently and not equally user friendly.

FLAC files don't play or display album art in iTunes normally and each of the other programs are different in appearance, design and quality and (so far) only one plays nice with iTunes and supports all formats up to 384.

That's before we even begin discussing the sound quality.

For ease of use I want absolute control with no monitor, so I have several programs I've experimented with to "see" my Mini with the monitor off. The best is "Remote" which is Apple software, it's slick as can be and is absolutely free to download and use.

The best remote desktop that controls everything (not just iTunes) is Log Me in Ignition which is quite a bit more complicated to download, install and use but it's capable of even running Photoshop if need.

The short answer is, right now it's looking like a runoff between Amarra Pro and Channel D Pure Music.

The user manuals on both of these is enough to make me run to my turntable :^). I do like the fact that 1000 + CDs and high res downloads fit in a couple of 2 TB hard drives I scored at Amazon for $88.00 each.

Last, it winds up being important to do some tweaks to the Mac Mini to make it perform it's best. Solid state drive, good USB cable, best Intel chip and maximum RAM. That should be no surprise to anyone who uses a computer, those facts help everything from Mail and Word to Photoshop.
Hey Albert - I'm marking the day on the calendar that you've adopted PC audio as an option! What's the rest of your digital delivery system chain?

For those who want to use iTunes with a variety of file types, including FLAC, there is one other possible solution, besides the aftermarket piggyback software that Albert suggests, that I use. Squeezeserver, which controls Squeezebox devices like the Touch, can catelogue/control both your iTunes library and a separate music folder, simultaneously, that includes most file types including FLAC. The only downsides is that, A) you are limited to using Squeezebox devices to deliver the goods to your DAC which is not necessarily a bad thing if you use Ethernet cable to network to them (even wireless is pretty damn good), and B) and this may be a deal breaker to some - I'm pretty sure even the best of those devices, the Touch and Transporter, are limited to 96/24 so if you have higher rez you'll have to find a different solution or settle for a downsampled version (buzzkill). Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. There are various controllers that work with SB devices via an iPhone or an iTouch, including iPeng and now Squeezebox makes their own free controller which is actually quite good. The later is free, while iPeng costs a small fee. I control three SB devices from my phone with those apps with the option of synchronizing any two or all three or none at all. The SB Touch has excellent jitter specs on the SPDIF output, and the AKM DAC in the Transporter is quite good and made even better by a Modwright tube output section. The DAC in the Touch is passable but not nearly as good as the one in the Transporter.

Good suggestions from Albert on MacMini configuration.

On duplicate files - check your library and see if there are actually several copies of those files, or whether iTunes is just cataloging a single copy as several copies. If the latter I believe you can rebuild your library by scrapping your existing iTunes folder (save a backup), then pointing iTunes towards your storage drive(s) to build a new library. If you start up iTunes with the "option" key (Mac) held down (not sure what PC uses), iTunes will give you the option of starting up from the music folder of your choice (this is also handy if you want to investigate another library or switch libraries). Perhaps the simplest way to do a check for actual duplicate files on your drive(s) is to choose any song or album that registers more than one copy and do a simple search on that title on the drive(s) that store your music. If it comes up only once in that search then it is an iTunes cataloging issue, and should be solved by rebuilding your library. If you do that you might want to keep a copy of your current iTunes folder as a backup just in case.

Good luck!
Hi Guys
Thanks for the help so far, although none of you solved the problem for me, yet ;-)

All the duplicate files I have are identical to one another (same bit-rate, same size, and even same exact time and date of "date modified"). I get this info by hitting the 'get info' menu.

I'm aware of the "Display Duplicates" action, but it does not appear to be useful. If I use display duplicates, it seems to show me my four versions of the track - am not sure how that's useful when just abotu all my tracks have between two and four duplicates. The ony ones that do not are ones I've added recently.

Do I have to manually go and delete all these dupes in the itunes menu. I could totally understand this if I had multiple (yet different in some way) versions of the same song, or had identical song files in more than one location, but I don't (apart from an itunes music backup folder that is not being referenced). I'm pretty shocked at how bad this experience is.

Any more advice? Thanks!