home made speaker cable vs. the big boys

I have been reading a lot recently about power cords and speaker cable. Everyone has their take on how to make great sounding cable. Some market players use "special chemicals" in their product while others don't. Some have thin cable , some have thin cable. I'm thinkin, my opinion is as valid as anyone elses. So why not attemt to make some high end cable my self? Has anyone tried this and been successful at diy "high end cable" ?
avnut
Any time you want to get toghther a few people and sit down and do some A/B testing I would be glad to put up some $100/200/300 and some of my DIY.Against anything you want to bring.So come on MR Hyperbole bring on cable and leave the sarcasm for another post.I feel sorry that you have to use Princton grammer to cover up your bad choice in cable.So any time you want to put your overpriced cable up against something i made for 75.00 come on i welcome the challange.One thing for certin no one reviewr with TAS Stereophile,Ultimite Audio would take this challange.I doubt you would.Yes there are many of you out there who talk about how much you spend.One thing is for ceartin.$ spent have nothing to do with how musical a system can be.It helps but the money has to go into source components not overpriced black magic like MIT,Nordst,Tara Labs,Monster.Pure 99.999 silver cost about 10$ an ounce.You can get about 7/8 feet of wire out of an ounce.So why are you paying 300 per foot for.Because you have HYPERBOLE FOR BRAINS.
Khrys.These comments are based on having heard the following cables.MIT MH-850 Nordst Quattro Fil,Audio quest Opal emerald Midnight,JPS superconductors and the + version.Wireworld Atlantis Eclipse III Gold Eclipse III IOXS Tara Labs Goertz.I have had them at home and have heard them at dealers.Note both the MIT and Nordst dealers would not allow me to use my Interconnect in their system to do a comparison.What where they affraid of.
Tm12, TARA LABS uses rectangular conductors, and their extensive listing of iinformation in their white papers at http://www.taralabs.com provides the science to back up their claims. These guys are leagues ahead of Nordost and MIT. For your information.... I've got TL Master Gen 2 and Audiotruth Opal right now, both of which, I feel to be excellent. Whether or not I could make the same design for less $, I dont know. I am, however, really glad to see this thread, and the information (besides the eye gouging) contained herein.
Ah, the wonderful "cable" subject again. Yes, you can certainly make your own speaker cables and interconnects, and as many others have noted here (and on the previous posts on this general topic), the key is getting quality wire and terminations. The other option, if you want to say a bit of time, is buy some Kimber Kable 4TC or 8TC speaker cable. It's great wire, isn't outrageously expensive, and in runs of 10 feet or less is hard to beat. If you want to go the DIY route, then contact Home Grown Audio at their web site: www.homegrownaudio.com
In my previous post, I should also have said that the 3rd element in getting good cables or interconnects is the quality of the termination. Some people will say you get the best connections by crimping, but I am a believer in both crimping and soldering. Hence, the quality of the solder joint is crucial. Make sure you have a tight mechanical connection before soldering (a tight crimp will provide this), and be sure to use solder that has a lower lead content, preferably with silver in the mix. You can buy this type of solder from Home Grown Audio, or from audio suppliers such as Audio Advisor.