Funky/fusion jazz with heavy base emphasis....

Happy 03 audiogoners...looking for stripped down, bass dominant jazz/percussion sounds...with little to no trumphets,sax,piano,etc...real funky/fusion type of groove...any thoughts...Bitches Brew is cool...but looking for something more straight forward...less pyschedelic...also...good recording a plus
128x128phasecorrect
Brand-X with bassist Percy Jones that plays frettless bass like he's playing lead-guitar. Actually the whole band is built on bass-solo of Percy Jones.

Percy Jones solo albums will certainl impress you as well.

Stanley Clarke funko-bassist of Electric Band of Chick Corea. Check out Bass-ic collection.

Dave Weckl band basically consists of Chick Corea members and certainly either Stanley Clarke or Eddie Gomez that I don't realy remember.

You have to grab ANYTHING you find for the following bassists bellow:

Pekka Pohjola and Jeff Berlin
Every their album is different and full of action they might be pretty-costly though due to the very limited production.

Grab solo albums of former vibraphonist and percussionist of Frank Zappa Ed Mann "Get up" album stands up on my mind.

If you will be able to find Pierre Moerlen and Gong you also enjoy the furious fusion with great bassists played on the different tracks even including Pekka Pohjola.

That's almost the half of my funko-fusion library. The items I have listed almost all on vinyl and I'm not sure if all of them available on CD.
Check out Victor Wooten if you like funky and outrageously great bass! He's a madman and so incredible live it was almost beyond belief.
Second Victor Wooten. Check out Wooten's pet project "Vital Tech Tones" for crazy funk/jazzy bass heavy stuff. He's insane. Seen him solo, with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, and he never ceases to amaze. Cheers!