Speaker Advice

I'm looking for a intro to hi-fi speaker pair. Just sold off my NHT Super Zero setup to do the upgrading. My budget will allow for about $700-800 worth of speaker, new or used (preferabbly used in great shape to get more for the $). So far I have been considering these speakers. NHT 2.5i's, Vandersteen 2Ce's, Definitive Technology BP2004, Thiel 2.2 (missed out on a bitchin' deal), Monitor Audio 5's, Paraidigm Monitir 7's (new), and some others. I will be driving them with 2 Marantz MA-500 Monoblocks and be using sources such as my Toshiba 3108 DVD player, and Marantz 67SE CD-Changer. I listen to an equal mix of movies and music and I'm really looking for something nice. Something with a good soundstage and nice bass response with out getting sloppy (no subwoofer for a while). This has been eating away my brain for a while now. I really like the sound of the NHT's but I want something more forgiving, something not so directed to one listener. I'm open for suggestions. I really wanted in a pair of VonSchweikert VRT-2100 (VR-3 for Home Theater use), but some one beat me to it. Anyhow, let me know. Thanks.
bradgowski
Only speakers i heard, out of the one's that you mentioned, were Vanderteen 2Ce, they are balanced on the "warm" side, great bass, ond over-all superb tonal balance. With the rest of the equipment you have, you can't go wrong.Go for Vandersteen 2Ce. Good luck!
I'd second the advice on the Vandersteen 2CEs. Used, you should pay no more than $750. There's a pair on auction somewhere else on this board now. Right now the price is up to $500. I'm going to upgrade from mine sometime later this year, ( or I'd offer mine now) and to make a significant improvement at all I'm going to have to pay at least $3000. The 2Ces are definitly the best bang for the buck in that price range. Jim
I HAVE HAD A PAIR OF PLATINUM SOLOS FOR FOUR YEARS AND STILL LOVE THEIR SOUND.THOUGH THEY LIST FOR $2,100 WITH BASES, THEY ARE BEING SOLD FOR $800 TO $900 USED.