What makes a $20,000 cd player cost 20,000?

Hi,
Listened to a Linn Sondeck CD12 (sp?) a few years back and the thing amazed me.
Was expecting that digital player development would continue to progress and that this level of performance would become available in the 2-5,000 range. It appears to me that redbook cd player development has stagnated, so I wanted to run a couple questions by for a sanity check.
1. Is there anything in the design or manufacture of top notch cd players that neccessarily results in stratospheric production costs?
2. Has anything come out in the last two or three years that really struck you as raising the bar in the price to performace ratio?
Happy listening.
jeff_jones
I have a hard time believing materials, labor, intellectual properties, R&D and what not could ever add up to a $20,000 PRODUCTION CDP. One off designs sure, thats pretty believable. Now holding this price, incorporating economies of scale to reduce internal costs and then finding willing buyers...thats an excellent business case.
Oh - all these "reliable sources" - give me a break. Your question about the price is easy to answer. Part of it is research, part of it is development, part of it is cost no object design, which means material, hand selected electronical parts etc.. Part of it is man power i.e. hand work and part of it is exclusivity and/or hype. But - hey, that all applies to ANY high end stuff, or do you really think that a 5er BMW f.e. is "worth" the money they ask? I'm driving one at the moment because my MINI has electronic ailment. The Beamer is a WONDERFUL car, but not worth 65.000! Ok, and here is my "reliable source": WADIA 270/27ix upgraded by Great Northern - forget anything else.
Happy listening!
There's an unfortunate trend in this country to equate value with cost. Because a component cost a mint, audiophiles believe it must be far better than one more reasonably priced. I believe many manufacturers capitalize on this belief. They know audiophiles will turn up their collective noses if they were to offer their units at lower prices, so they soak us for all we're worth. They can do this because we let them. As the saying goes: "I've met the enemy and it's us!"
Does a $20.00 quartz Timex keep better time than a $ 5,000 ''manual'' Rolex ? The answer is ''yes''. Is a Louis Vutton handbag worth $ 1,000.00 ? Can you really tell the diffence between a $ 20.00 wine and one that cost $ 200.00 a bottle (some do, most cannot). DOES A 1" THICK FACEPLATE ON AN AMP IMPROVES ON THE SOUND ? .Well maybe a bit (because of the sheer mass and resulting isolation from vibrations), but maybe not to the extent that it warrants paying for it. Is a $ 300,000 Ferrari faster than a Viper?

High-end audio is really a high-end hobby. As such, we pay for PERCEPTION OF EXCELLENCE and TRADITION, EXCLUSIVITY, AND SUPERLATIVE PRESTIGE.

If High-End audio was merely based on performance, no way many products would command such insanely high prices.

This is why we will NEVER see true blind testing of audio gear anytime soon, from professionnal reviewers, it would be just too risky and dangerous to admit that some ''budget'' gear sound as good and often much better, than much higher-priced, ''established'' big name gear. (Listen the small Cayin TA-30...a shocking example of this)

And this is why someone who spends $ 5,000.00 on a Rolex watch pretty much couldn't care less if it kept good time or not.

Marketing is much more about perception over product. And the ''high-end'' does not escape this fact. Of course there are true deserving high-pricer out there, but many do not justify their worth sonically speaking...but ahhh...that 2 foot thick CNC-machined faceplate sure looks good right? And don't get me started on $ 3,000.00 interconnects and $ 7,000.00 speaker cables. One last thing, is there any room left for the artist and his or her music in this madness, or are we just too busy showing how good-looking our Rolex is?