TRL Sony 2000es or RAM Toshiba 3960

These two highly achieving players are similiarly priced with mods.
How do they compare?
Is one better?
I've read great things about them both.
If I like a detailed, fast, open, neutral, transparent sound, which one is for me?
Or maybe I'll get a Benchmark DAC 1!
Thanks for any comments or experiences.
Bill
mr_bill
Reb-

Yes, it is quite a bit more. Could become their reference unit to mod at this point.

Jsala-

They really like the overall sound of the 3960.
It gives up some things in bass to the 595/2000, if I recall Paul's comments-but has turned out very nice.
Lkdog,

Thanks for the input re the 3960.

Any idea if TRL has modded the Marantz 8400 universal player. What would be really useful is if they published comments on the various modded players on their website, or at least a list of the players they have modded.
I've had the TRL sony 595 now for about 4 months id ont want to listen to anything else, but being a person who is always looking for better sound. I ordered the TRL scd-2000es, i've heard a lot of great things about this unit, if it sounds anyhting like the 595, which from what i've heard it definitly goes above and beyond the 595. i'll give my opinion of it when i get it in and give it a chance to break in.
Jsala-

You might email or call Paul about the different Marantz units they have assessed and are evaluating.
When I mentioned above about MArantz units that cost a "bit more", I should have stated that they are going to evaluate the 8260, as well as the reference players (SA11,and older SA14). The 8260 is really not too much more expensive than the Sony ES2000 and might have more potential. The SA 11's and SA14's are much more expensive of course.
To put in perspective, though, the TRL 595/2000 units are truly excellent and may be tough to beat for basic price/performance ratio.
With this hobby, as we all know, sometimes the incremental changes or improvements we seek are not a straight corelation with money spent. But no one ever claimed we are rationale:)

I don't know about the 8400, or if they have looked at that one. Chat with him about the build quality of the 3960. He is very impressed with how it turned out.
Have the RAM Tosh,EVS Panasonic S47 and the Stan Warren Aiwa X37c and they are all close.Will report back in 2 weeks after the Tosh breaks.Have not heard the Sony you speak of,but it sure is fun to be connected,Bob