TRL Sony 2000es or RAM Toshiba 3960

These two highly achieving players are similiarly priced with mods.
How do they compare?
Is one better?
I've read great things about them both.
If I like a detailed, fast, open, neutral, transparent sound, which one is for me?
Or maybe I'll get a Benchmark DAC 1!
Thanks for any comments or experiences.
Bill
mr_bill

Showing 5 responses by lkdog

Paul and Brian at TRL have an amazing ear and I think it is due to their live field recording and audio engineering work.
Yes, they are evaluating different units and are very impressed with Marantz units as platforms if one wishes to spend a bit more than the Sony units they have been doing.
I am trying to sort out which one to try next.
Reb-

Yes, it is quite a bit more. Could become their reference unit to mod at this point.

Jsala-

They really like the overall sound of the 3960.
It gives up some things in bass to the 595/2000, if I recall Paul's comments-but has turned out very nice.
Jsala-

You might email or call Paul about the different Marantz units they have assessed and are evaluating.
When I mentioned above about MArantz units that cost a "bit more", I should have stated that they are going to evaluate the 8260, as well as the reference players (SA11,and older SA14). The 8260 is really not too much more expensive than the Sony ES2000 and might have more potential. The SA 11's and SA14's are much more expensive of course.
To put in perspective, though, the TRL 595/2000 units are truly excellent and may be tough to beat for basic price/performance ratio.
With this hobby, as we all know, sometimes the incremental changes or improvements we seek are not a straight corelation with money spent. But no one ever claimed we are rationale:)

I don't know about the 8400, or if they have looked at that one. Chat with him about the build quality of the 3960. He is very impressed with how it turned out.
Jahaira-

I have never seen nor heard a Toshiba 3960. I had heard they were going for like 60 bucks somewhere lately.
When I suggested that Jsala talk to Paul about the build quality I did not mean to imply anything good or bad about it. What I meant is that they might have a valuable opinion- I have no idea.

As far as the Marantz 8260 - they are all over Agon for between $675 on up used and $800+ new. Yes, retail is high, but no one pays retail.
I have no idea if it will mod out well for TRL.
They certainly like the Marantz higher end units and seem fond of Marantz build quality. We will see what they have to say.
Jahaira-
No worries bro..
I just wanted to make clear that I sure am no expert at the build quality of these various units.
I would guess that the Sony 2000 is a big step up overall in build quality and that usually translates into sound.
I maybe should have been more careful in how I related Paul's comment. He really just thought the 3960 turned out nicely in many ways. Thanks for the link on it.

As for the 8260, I am wondering actually how it will turn out being a unit with a slightly older technology-but we will see what they think.
These are exciting times in digital.