TRL 595-how good is it?

I am a digital junky, so I have been thru well over a dozen players in the past 12 months. My favorite is the APL 3910. I just bought the TRL Sony 595 from the Tsunami auction, and will receive next week. Any one here have experience with this machine? I TT Paul from TRL and he said he is still shaking his head from disbelief on how good this puppy sounds. I am impatient, so would love some feedback. I also love the fact it is a 5 disc changer. Could it be a world beater? I have TT a person who sold his Cary 303/200 after burning this puppy in.

Ehquiring minds want to know

Thanks
711smilin
Alex-

Yes, the modest cost completely defies logic. From the little I know about the mod it hints in some ways of the Decware mod approach that Steve Deckert does to a SONY sacd/cd (although he does actually use a tube output, where TRL does not). I think there is a minimalist/purity approach taken in some way. TRL does not add a lot of higher end parts according to Paul Wietzel, but I do not know specifically so my musings are not that valid.
The only observable change is a 3 prong IEC plug put in, and the hole where the old cord came out.

Again, the outcome or result is the ultimate benchmark of their mod, no matter what the cost of the initial platform.
If they can make a $139 unit (what I paid for the 595) sound great-more power to them.
They also will apply their same modification paradigm/approach to the higher end Sony sacd/cd's if folks are more comfortable with a beginning platform of better build quality.

The Sony 595 is not going to win any accolades for some of the things that are usually associated with build quality (weight,dampening, construction materials, rca jacks, "name" internal parts, etc). It has plastic feet! The stock unit has a captive power cord :)
It looks and feels like a sub $200 unit.

Twu2-

The "house" sound to me (and this is strictly my interpretation so take it with a grain of salt) is a voicing toward an extremely detailed, transparent, airy, extended "analog" presentation. Think high end turntable setup where the large soundstage envelopes or washes over the speakers/room in a a slightly relaxed (not intrusive) smooth way, but does not lose definition or resolution.

It does that balancing act very well of smoothness, but still defined detailed and resolved.

As an amateur musician/music producer, I am startled by the ability to separate out bass lines, for instance, in such a way as to communicate their musiciality. Low HZ detail is not easy for a mix to present and often gets lost by the engineer or the CD player cannot reproduce it clearly enough. The detail of the 595 is quite stunning, but it remains musical. The separation of instruments is similar to what I hear when I have a mix recorded in 24/96 before I mix it down to 16/44.

I am at some loss to describe the aural experience verbally.

Short answer- a really really nice analog turntable setup.

One outome for me has been listening to CD's I had given up on as being enjoyable, especially vocals which I think digital often does poorly. These CD's now truly sound remixed-as if somebody found the original analog two track tapes with simple miking and then remade the CD. You can really hear the room/venue ambience (again like a really good TT setup).

All of my comments are based upon redbook.
I have only one SACD (Monk-Straight No Chaser). It sounds wonderful in this unit. Does piano very very well which is also hard for digtial to do IMHO.

I should state I have fairly decent, but modest system components:

MF A300 Integrated amp
ACI Sapphire (25th Ann Edition) monitors
ACI Titan sub.

I should also state that I do not have experience enough to compare to a lot of other digital sources-modded or stock.

I do know what I like, and have some sense of the traditional shortcomings of digital. The TRL mod seems to address those very well and makes excellent music.

Hope this provides some insight as to what it does and does not do.

I believe that Stepahen Harrell told me his review is coming out by the end of the month on 6 Moons.

I am looking forward to see what he has to say.
He has a more informed ability, obviously, than someone like me.

Finally, the advances that engineers and pro modders are making in digital is a good thing for all.
TRL is certainly a viable option as are many others.

I will say that I am done wondering about what else is out there.... am I getting everything out of my speakers...is their better sound, etc, etc.

There undoubtedly is at some price, but this makes you not really care or worry about it.
Well, I do ot have my unit yet, and am also waiting on a Modwright 3910 for my HT. I plan on letting my daughter use this for her friends ect. That way she won't be playing with my tubed units. After burning in the unit I will have a little personnal shootout of my own, with my ears, in my system. Boy I will really be playing with myself then. Heh heh.

Alex, chill baby, your APL is the BEST digital I have ever heard, anywhere, at and at any price. As you Know, in the last year I have owned

Shanling T200C
Sony XA777ES
AA Capitole II
MF Tri-Vista
Esoteric DV-50
Xindak SCD-2
APL SACD 1000
Exemplar 2900
Exemplar 3910
EE Minimax
and quite a few other's....I know of only 1 unit that reigns supreme, to me, and that is the APL. I still like variety, as it is the spice of life, plus I love the multi disk aspect for music, but I also love having ALL formats like my 3910. Redbook, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, and Video. Did I miss anything?

Ain't this obsession a hoot.

Lkdog, I look forward to hearing the TRL and playing with this puppy, and am exited about having the ability to throw in a bunch of discs, to satisfy my LAZY ASS., And my daughters friends dancing feet. I also like to be able to throw a mix of SACD's along with Redbook at the same time. I am sure for critical listening pleasure, I will use the APL, and for multi channel, HT, Video, I will use the Modwright.

So there I go(I think)
Thanks everyone for the more detailed info on this unit it has truly helped me.
Thanks a lot, Lkdog. for taking time to explain in details.

The "house sound" you described (with analogy to analogue playback) seems to be something I've been seeking and would appreciate.
Twu2-

Well, a very respected professional reviewer had a fellow audio afficiando walk into his listening room when he had the 595 playing and this friend promptly said something like "hey, did you get a new turntable?".
It does seem to have that character.
Paul Weitzel did comment to me via email that he feels it does address the longstanding analog vs. digital argument and that digital done well can sound as good as great analog.
I think he has done a great job on that account. Good LP's and good CD's provide me a similar enjoyable listening experience now.
Hope all works out for you in your exploring options.