modify CD25 or buy new CDP...

Hello.

I am feeling the need to upgrade my CDP somehow. I am a bit torn on whether or not to just modify my current Music Hall CD25 or buy a new CDP.
The short list of CDP's that I could afford used are pretty much as follows (under $2500 new / $1500 used quality CDP):
Primare D-30.2
Vecteur L4.2
Arcam FMJCD23

I have never heard a modified CD25 and just am not sure how it would stack up against CDP's in my price range.
My current system consists of the Vecteur I-4 integrated and PSB Silver-i's.

Thanks for any insight.
Matt
mattf1
Matt,

I had the CD25 for awhile, and then I went with the modified CD25, Modwright RAM CD25 (no op-amps, has tube output stage). For me, it was a worthwhile upgrade. I have not been able to compare it to other cdp's but I am sure it would hold it's own.

I have always been curious about the Arcam CD23 though.

Regards,

If you don't find enough people here who've had direct experience comparing a modified CD25 with one of your other choices, it might be worthwhile to at least upgrade the opamps in the CD25 since that's a very easy upgrade to do yourself, no more difficult than changing a fuse.

At least you'd get a better idea of what the CD25 is capable of and you would probably recoup at least most of the outlay if you decide to sell.
I did the following 'simple' upgrades on my CD25:
- upgraded op-amps
- upgraded RCA connectors
- Black Hole 2 dampening throughout the casing
- added IEC connector with upgraded power cord

After everything was done, the sound really smoothed out. I preferred the improved sound of the CD25 when compared side-by-side testing with my brother's AES tube CD player, which cost twice as much.